Wednesday, February 9, 2011

No electric scooters for me!

You all know that a couple of my themes for this year are organization and downsizing. Well last week when we were on our winter break, I took advantage of the plane ride to downsize (delete) and organize my photos on my computer. I have deleted over 1500 pictures! But, the best part was finding this picture:
That picture was taken just about a month before I started this journey. It was the end of May last year, 2010, and the last day of the semester. The picture originally included my students and other department members. What struck me as I looked at this “before” picture was just how obese I really was. Even though I have acknowledged my own denial, I still was shocked to see how heavy I was when I started. It is so obvious that my clothing does not HIDE my excess poundage and probably accentuates it. But now, flash forward to almost 30 pounds off and our recent winter break:
Some change, eh?? I am long overdue in posting pictures of my progress, so it feels great to share these with all of you! I am not sharing these simply to show you how different I am, but sharing them for another reason. When we were in Disneyland last week I could not help but notice how many electric scooters were rented by morbidly obese people. It was actually very sad to see so many people, not older people either, not able to walk or enjoy Disneyland and life because of their physical limits, more than likely due to a long history of obesity. Looking at the picture of me last summer makes it clear to me that I was also in that category: morbidly obese. My tipping point posts from last year get at what really propelled me to get started: if I did not start to take control and regain my health, I was at very high risk for diabetes, heart disease and loads of other joint and skeletal problems and other health challenges because of my weight. I also know that it would not be only me that suffered, but my family. It was that realization that my family would suffer the effects of my negligence, not just me, that propelled me into this journey. I know if I avoided making the right decision for my health in a few more years, or even sooner, it could have been me on a scooter…

But instead:
I chose a path that will lead me to good health. So, no scooters for me in the immediate future!!

What about you: do you think your own journey has steered you clear of some of the "risks" of obesity?

Before I sign off, I would like to thank-you, my blogger friends for all your support. I never feel alone on this journey because of you! Thank-you for sharing your wisdom and your encouragement.

TTFN and stay strong!
Michele

22 comments:

  1. You look great - I've not managed to post any pictures yet because I still feel not enough difference...you must feel so so encouraged by seeing this change - well done...I would love to look this different!
    I shall follow along with your blog
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW... Amazing picture!! You look years younger and so full of life & happiness in the second one.

    I feel the same way about the scooters! None for me, thanks. There was a time when I would ride one of those little electric wheelchairs in Walmart and other stores when I wanted to shop but was too tired walking for long periods. I told myself that I didn't care what people thought. Sheesh... I'm SO glad I don't do that anymore or need to.

    Good for you Michele... you are such a trooper and I love your positive energy and attitude! It's infectious!

    ~Margene

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look amazing! Is that person on top even you? You could be on one of those weight loss infomercials! Congrats on being able to take control of your health :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele, you and I are apparently twins separated at birth! This post is me! I can relate to every facet of it. I was in denial, I realized that my family was going to be screwed, I was headed towards the motorized scooter stage. Good thing we pulled out of the nose dive huh? Great pics pretty lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read through yourawards and the blogs you have nominated - such a great archive of brilliant bloggers and so helpful to someone like me, starting out. Your before/after photo is inspiring!
    Thanks
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a noticeable difference! (And I am intrigued by the idea of decluttering my computer photos... hmmm... never thought of that.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that you decided to be a happier and healthier you! You are so inspiring and I look forward to your posts!! Btw, what an amazing difference in those pics! You do not even look like the same person. Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what difference! You have come a long way, not just physically but in your mindset as well. Kudos to you for choosing a healthier path in life.
    Because of my obesity & because diabetes, heart disease and arthritis, (with the attending hip & knee replacements) run high in my family history, I am at risk of developing these health problems. I have to keep reminding myself that this is one of the best reasons to continue on toward my goal weight and maintain it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Michele, that's quite a difference, except for one thing ... you still have a wonderful smile. Very photogenic. You look so healthy in the second picture. No scooter for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow your face is SCRAWNY!!! And the belly is gone! You look great, and SO happy-almost glowing!

    So proud of you! Not that that matters, but still-adoration of strangers has got to feel good. ;-)

    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look so FAB! Congrats, what a difference! And loving the hat

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a difference you can see already!! Thanks for sharing!! You are well on your way to a healthier you! You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look fantastic! I can CLEARLY see a big difference. Your beautiful face is emerging even more now. It's awesome! Kudos to you!

    And I was getting really scared of being one of those scooter people. I get very sad when I see people using them and it's obvious that their weight put them in it (my dad is a scooter user who just doesn't care about weight loss).

    I also don't want diabetes. I refuse to have to prick my finger(s) over and over again on a daily basis. My maternal grandmother died from diabetes. I don't want to follow in her footsteps.

    Losing weight is the bee's knees!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great before and after pictures. Scooters suck, no fun on a scooter if you have to use one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, I'm in it for the health. But...I don't miss my second chin at all! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Look at what you have accomplished, Michele. And you have done it so sensibly. You are inspiration--and you look like you're having so much fun in the second picture. I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job Michele. Love the pics and the post. I am too young (35) to go down that road, but until recently, that is right where I was headed. Glad to be on track now and glad to have someone like you out there for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Michele. Great photos! I just finished transferring over all of my files from my old computer to my new. While I was doing this, I also decluttered many of the old documents and photos. I found photos of me -- probably at my heaviest -- but unlike you, haven't the courage to post them. Honestly, they almost made me want to cry. Not only was I just heavy, but this was after I had been first diagnosed with asthma and was quite ill, so I look ill, old, and fat. The only thing that cheered me up was that there was also a little video of me in a bathing suit dated January 1, 2001 in which I am turning around in a circle while saying that that was the end of all of my fat -- that I was going to get serious about losing it. It's only taken 10 years from then for me to get serious...what can I say.

    You look fantastic in that second picture!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look amazing :-) What great accomplishments!! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Same gorgeous smile, only now on a healthier body. Inspiring!! I see you living life to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, that is just great progress and you've really remade yourself. Good reflections on self-perception. I read some where - Kessler? - that obese people have inaccurate perceptions of their own weight, that they don't think they're as overweight as they really are. Sometimes we need photographic evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! Thanks for posting that picture!!! What an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete