Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Words on Wednesday!

Greetings Bloggers!
Today will be another installment of Words on Wednesday. Words are flowing freely this week in the news in terms of health and fitness. Here are three of my favorite stories:

As Wal-Mart gets healthier, will the nation?: Wal-Mart is winning over more consumers with their latest healthy marketing strategies. First, Wal-Mart declared last Thursday that it will launch a very aggressive initiative to make its food products more healthy, including lowering process on fruits and vegetables, and building new stores in underserved areas. Furthermore, Wal-Mart will lower sodium by 25%, decrease added sugars by 10% and omit all trans fats in the packaged foods it sells. Michelle Obama declared that this initiative could change the entire food industry. I agree. More people shop at Wal-Mart for groceries than any other supermarket so this decision will easily impact many other retail grocery chains. Decreasing fats, sugars and salt at the level they publicize is not enough, but clearly a first step. Read more here.

Spinning ahead: Like roller coasters? How about a cross between a roller coaster and a fitness machine for your next work out?? How about the new Sky Ride developed by Minnesota inventor Scott Olson?
If you recognize his name it is because he also invented the inline RollarBlade skate. His latest fitness machine, the SkyRide is a cross between a roller coaster and a fitness machine because it rides on a track suspended in the air. “We have two machines: the pedaler and the rowing machine. People get their workout by rowing or pedaling the machine while suspended in the air. Instead of going to the health club and going nowhere on the cardio machines, here you are on the track and going somewhere, moving and going fast.” Sounds pretty cool. Take a look here for more about the future of outdoor fitness!

Ride on! Think winter is too tough to ride your bike, especially if you live in the frozen north? Well here’s a great story that might motivate some of the less wimpy. “Every weekday morning, no matter how cold it is, how much snow is falling or how slippery the slush on the streets has become, Tom Lais climbs on his bicycle and pedals 18 miles from his home in Maplewood to his job in south Minneapolis. Minneapolis is second only to Portland, Ore., in the number of bicyclists, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, and those numbers are rising.” In a recent story in the Star Tribune, Jeff Strickler reports that Bike Walk Twin Cities, which monitors local activity, confirms that the number of winter bikers is rising. “The group doesn't break its figures into categories for commuters vs. pleasure riders, but it has found that 20 percent of cyclists will ride in even the worst conditions, with the number reaching as high as 36 percent on warmer winter days.”
Minneapolis is way ahead of other urban areas thanks to Freewheel Midtown Bike Center, a one-of-its-kind, one-stop "bike transportation center" that offers commuters everything from showers (for both them and their bikes), to inside parking bays, to breakfast.” And yes, outdoor bikers are prepared by clothing and gear especially designed for winter riding so much so that the “cold becomes irrelevant.” Read more about how to dress up for winter riding here.

Stay strong everyone in your own fitness journey and maybe get outside once this week to exercise (??)! TTFN,
Michele

13 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard about walmart."getting healthier" that would be fantastic.
    I went to minneapolis gosh 15 years ago for a summer, so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - Pretty good news all around.
    Things are changing pretty fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I don't think I want to go on anything that goes up in the air! :) Exercise or not. I have a very real fear of heights, though, that might make the cardio workout easier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had seen an article about that Walmart thing and was going to post about it but now I don't have to:) I actually read a post earlier today proposing that maybe it's not a good thing. Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh. Love this post, thanks for sharing!! I wish the news shared more stuff like this. We have a guy in Roseville who bikes every where.. you should see his bike tires! They are the hugest tires ever! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh! I'd love to try that thing. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Tom Lais is an iron man, for sure. I admire his strength.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, lots of great info. I guess I always ignorantly thought you couldn't ride a bike in snow/ice.
    That is great about Walmart, I guess they figure the move can only help their sales, but I wonder if these extra upgrades will change their prices...
    That rollercoaster fitness thingymajiggy is interesting, but sounds a bit crazy-and I'm not sure if even being suspended in the air will beat the scenery I have seen in most gyms... ;-)

    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post Michele, I had heard about Wal-mart from Kim and I have riden my bike in the winter though I didn't feel the safest on it. That is a cool invention. Really neat!!! A well thought out, informative post. YEAH!!! for Michele.
    My headache is finally much better, 5 days of this migraine was more then I could handle. I am so glad I'm on the downhill side now. Thanks for stopping by.
    Take care and God Bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool invention! I too live in the frozen tundra of the northern plains and use the weather as an excuse far too often. The info on Wal-Mart is interesting as well. Thanks for all the good stuff today Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great info on this post, thanks Michele!!! Have a great week, glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I stopped by a remodeled Wal-mart (first time in a Wal-mart in nearly a year) a couple of weeks ago and was quite surprised by their huge supermarket department. Nice to hear that they will be offering healthier alternatives to what was sold in the past.

    Oh, I wish I could get up the nerve to go out on my bike in the winter. I hate being cold, and after a spill off my bike last summer, I'm not too eager to ride on ice and snow. I planned to try it anyway last week when I was suffering from dreadful cabin fever, but when I looked out the window, it was snowing. Maybe another time. Like in April or May.

    ReplyDelete