Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Welcome new followers and "training" for a 5KM!

Welcome to all of you who have recently signed on to follow me. I LOVE your support and encouragement as I move forward on my journey and I will support you, as best as I can.

One of my goals for the New Year is to walk/run a 5KM. In my walks the last two days, I figured out a little course along a creek and woodland area near my home that is about 5KM (actually a tad more). The trail has little elevation ups and downs, which simulate in my mind, the actual course (whatever they may be) where I will tread. Here are a few pictures of what it looks like now. I do not walk down at the creek, but stay up on the snow covered trail that meanders along Minnehaha Creek right in the beautiful city of Minneapolis.

Our "boy," Giovanni, has a little Saint Bernard in him, so he loves these trails, too!

Yep, it is cold and snowy along my course. But it is Minnesota! I love being outdoors. For me, being outdoors is as refreshing as the exercise. Simply restorative for me to be out and about the sights and sounds of winter in the frozen tundra(!!) including the sweet song of the beautiful little chickadees. I can do my walking loop in about 1 hour. I walk steady but not fast, plus plodding through the snow takes effort, too.

On January 1st the Star Tribune featured an article titled "Winter doesn't stop runners in their tracks." Loads of good tips for exercising outdoors and don't forget your Yaktracks! You do not need to have a subscription to the Trib to read this article, but do have to register.
Have a great day everyone and stay strong!
Michele

15 comments:

  1. That trail you've selected looks amazing! It's so...Robert Frost-ish. :) I bet it'll make training for that 5K easier. You'll get to see what it looks like as the weather changes. NEAT!

    I love reading your posts and I'm totally excited to see you get to your goals this year! It's really exciting! I know that sounds lame, but...I love watching people succeed. It makes me cry...in a good way!

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pics, Michele! You know how much I love seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I remember my husband telling me about MN, back when we were trying to decide where to live, was that everyone was outside all year round!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful blanket of white! I wish I wasn't such a wimp with the snow and cold lately but being cold for me is just miserable now. I'd much rather walk in a gym when it's cold out, although you can't beat the beauty of the outdoors!! :) Love your pics. I am shooting to run a 5k this year too!! Fun.

    ~Margene

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Yaktracks are my best friend in the winter!! Nice walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Minnehaha is beautiful anytime of the year, for sure! I love being outdoors in the winter, too. Indoor exercise does nothing for my spirit and it's hard to get me to do it, but I easily put on my gear and head outside. I am glad you are enjoying our winter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! that looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The kids and I went for a walk today to the creek and then to see my parents. First time to really be out since being sick. Oh we go out to do chores and play in the snow but not like today for a nice walk.
    Just wanted to tell you I nominated you for Steve's Hot 100 give away. I was so happy to have you find me and me you and get to know you and your support.
    Take care and have a blessed afternoon. It's sunny and warm out. Sure can handle that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the welcome. I love 5K's. I'm going to be working my way back to them. Great goal, Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! If we had some snow on the ground maybe the cold wouldn't bother me so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...what a beautiful place to go for a walk. Lucky you, and lucky Giovanni!!! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful - makes the snow look fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to dipping my toe into the 5k arena this summer myself.

    Great pics of Minnehaha Creek, gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful!! I love the snow!!!

    Keep up the great work my friend!!

    Keep focused!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Running a 5K is one of my goals for this year. I want to start couch to 5K, but I have been letting the snow we've gotten lately,(I'm in Michigan)keep me indoors. You inspire me. I'm going to read that article and see if I can overcome my wimpiness.

    ReplyDelete