Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year and Goal Setting!

Happy New Year Everyone!

I am starting this new year after much ruminating about who I am and where I would like to be. I have decided that my overall focus for this year will be captured in three descriptive themes: balance, downsizing (not just physically) and organization. Today I will lay out for you what I am thinking about in terms of downsizing that refers to physical health.

Physical downsizing: My journey toward better health is now 6 months in duration. While I have been successful, I have decided that it is time to set some goals to help me maintain focus on my journey. The goals below refer to weight loss, regaining fitness and overall better physical health.

First goal: Be at 170 by the middle of April 2011. This is a reasonable target for me because I lose about one pound a week. I am picking the middle of April because I will be presenting two papers at conferences, one in New Orleans and one in Orlando. This is an incentive for me to wear some professional clothes that are sized down. I will need to lose about 18 pounds between now and then.

Second goal: Keep up my fitness level and increase the rigor of my regime. Since starting Steve’s How 100 challenge, I have been working toward one full hour of exercise a day (combination of biking and walking). Before winter set in, I was riding about 25 miles a week on my bike. I would like to first meet that goal on the stationary bike since I can not get outside safely for awhile. My goal is to increase this to 30 miles per week by mid February. As far as walking, I am getting in about 10-12 miles per week outdoors. I would like to increase this, dependent on weather, to 15 miles per week by the end of the month of January.

Third goal:
Track miles walked and biked for the year.

Fourth goal: I would also like to start the Couch to 5km by February 19. By my birthday (May 22) I would like to have run/walked my fist 5KM. The Couch to 5km lasts about 9 weeks which would be May 1 for me.

What about you? What are some of your fitness and health goals for 2011??
TTFN and Stay strong!
Michele

12 comments:

  1. I had a few before this post, but I may steal some of yours. Mine were to be at goal weight by my birthday in May, or 185. I also want to get my 5k time down by quite a bit. Say maybe to 30 minutes. I want to join the gym I have been looking at and start adding some muscle to my frame. But now, I am going to start tracking my mileage too. I have meant to do that but have not made a habit of it. Now is as good a time as any I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goals are close to yours in what I would like to accomplish this year. I am going to try and lose 20 lbs by April 1st and increase my exercise to a daily routine. I am starting my walking program to get ready to walk in a 5k in March. So I wish us both luck in reaching our goals..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'd like to try C25K again too! Last time I did a week, easily, but then my back started hurting. I got great advice from readers and have not totally given up on the idea of running. My birthday is right around yours. How fun would that be to do the program at the same time!!!??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great goals!! Very realistic...

    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that our weights are pretty darn the same, our goals are sorta close and our ideas are really close. Maybe the Minnesota togetherness? :o)
    I am working on the C25K and have found out that when I progress to the next level I work on that one for a few times before I go on. Like this week is week4 day1 and it was 3 minutes walk, 5 minutes run, 3 minutes run, 3 minutes walk and another 5 run and 3 walk...or something like that. I can do the 3 minutes well, the 5 minutes were hard so I'm going to redo that a few times before I head to the next day. It's probably just me but my thoughts.
    I'm going to track my walk/runs too. I didn't last year and sorta wish I would of so I could compare my beginning to now. Oh well.
    Good luck with you goals Michele. Take care and Happy New Year. God bless you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This year my goal is to get to goal! I'd really like to start running as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome goals!
    I am sure you will progress nicely toward them.
    I wish every good thing for you in this New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great goals! Very achievable and I know you'll do them all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to lose at least 10 more lbs, then maintain. I'm going to track my mileage this year, too. Also, I'm going to work on that 5K time. I've considered the C25K, but it seems too aggressive for me. Perhaps I could take it a little slower than prescribed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year Michele!! Great goals, I'm sure you'll meet them all because you are motivated and determined!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi my friend, I gave you an award today. Thank you so much for your support! I truly value your friendship and look forward to many years together on this fabulous journey!!

    Stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have done a great job of focusing and stating your goals. I'm sure that you will meet them.

    I am getting ready to start C25K also. I'm really excited about it. I added some running intervals to my walks during Christmas vacation & I enjoyed it. I haven't run since the early 80's, at that time I worked up to 2 miles.

    ReplyDelete