Friday, January 28, 2011

Biscuits and taking stock

Happy Friday!
Wednesday was my seventh month anniversary toward better health. In honor of this anniversary, I weighed in today:
That is a new low for me, actually the lowest I have been in at least 10 years if not longer!!!! So, definitely a scale victory!! But, as you know, there is more to health than that number. Seven months: 27 pounds less. You can do the math: about 4 pounds lost a month. Yes, I am a slow and steady loser and I am completely fine with that. Here is why.

For years, I was one of those people who dreamed of a quick fix of losing 20 pounds in two months or some such unrealistic amount. Over the years of my obesity I can remember certain important events coming up where I wanted to lose weight, like one of my children’s weddings. Problem is I was always interested in that rather quick fix, something to get me to drop a few pounds. So, yes, I would lose a few pounds, maybe even 10-15, but after the event passed, the weight crept right back. Why? Because I was not really getting at the heart of the matter: life style change needed. That of course all changed in June of last year. I know now what is needed for me to lose weight and it is simply: eat less, move more, eat lots of fruits and vegetables and go easy on the junk foods. You have all heard that adage from me before. It is as simple as Marion says: for me: 1200-1500 calories a day; 60 minutes of exercise (for now mostly walking and skating); 4-5 servings of fruits and veggies a day and junk foods or treats on occasions with the calories budgeted in. That is it.

Yes, four pounds a month is not a lot. I know many of you bloggers shed that amount every two weeks. But that is not how it works for me, nor for my life. You see during the past seven months lots has happened: my father passed, all kinds of family birthdays and other celebrations, Vikings games, orchestra concerts, Christmas, Halloween, trips to Yosemite, Spain, Dodger games and well loads of other life carried on. Did I do perfect in my eating? Nope, of course not. But, what I am doing perfectly is finding what works for me. Finding the balance of eating less and moving more and in a life full of, well, life. And here is the deal: I am confident that I am going to lick my obesity once and for all. Kick it in the ass. Because over the past seven months I have stayed strong. I have learned to budget in foods that I enjoy (a burger or a piece of carrot cake or an ice cream cone) into my calorie account. I do not eat these often, but, I also do not deprive myself. I have learned to plan, plan and plan some more about the foods I will eat, including taking 100 calorie snacks with me wherever I go so I am not tempted to eat the things I should not. I have learned to anticipate events (like a BD) and “bank” calories. Yes, I have had more than a serving size of certain foods, but, I can truthfully say that in the seven months I have not BINGED on any food ONCE! Not once!! I do not feel deprived, either. All of these victories help me to know that this journey is going to stick. I know it. It will. Now I can plan, too, for my future. Like in six more months, I will lose about another 24 pounds, which is exactly when our son will be married (July 30). So, I will get my wish, all in good time and steady and slow, of being substantially downsized for one of my children’s weddings! That will be great.

Now, the biscuits: this is one more example of how I know that I have arrived at the new healthier me. I love biscuits. Love them. In the food section of the Star Tribune last week they featured a great looking recipe for "Biscuits Hot From the Oven." When I read that recipe, made with BUTTER (!!) I thought "yum-yum." My next thought was: “I will need to make these someday soon for a special occasion and bank the calories so I can have TWO!!” I caught myself thinking about those lovely biscuits and strategizing how I would be able to eat one or two and remain on my healthy journey. Without me even realizing it, my brain was planning how I could make them part of my food bank. My thoughts were not about making them with the "just this once" thought pattern. Nope. Without realizing it: I was planning for them. That simple thought process amazed me and gave me additional evidence that I am already healthy minded even though I am not as healthy physically as I will be. I amazed myself. I am amazing (to borrow from the Doc). Here is where you can find that recipe.

So my friends, what about you: in what ways do you know in your heart that this is it for you???

Have a great weekend everyone! TTFN and stay strong,
Michele

24 comments:

  1. Michele, the further I read in this post, the more excited I got! Hadn't realized our goals were so similar. I hope we can be a true source of encouragement for each other. We agree so completely on the philosophy of slow loss and our way of getting there are exactly the same. I have 24-26 pounds to lose and my target date is my birthday which just happens to be July 30!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele, I want to stand up and do a big dance to this post!!! I love love love love it! Woo hoo!

    I so relate to this post. I have come to the realization that my eating habits have taken a turn for good too, and for much the same reasons as you. I don't have the cravings I used to first of all. In fact, I would almost call me a food snob. Not really, but for example, in the beginning of this journey, I often "missed" my Whoppers. I kid you not, when the fleeting thought of pulling in to the drive thru to get one, I get a blecccch feeling. I have no interest. True story. I also have a story from just yesterday that proves I have changed. AS I have talked about before, pizza was my kryptonite. Loved it, couldn't resist it, and if it was free, Lord look out for those in my way. We had a special Quorum Court meeting at lunch yesterday to vote on an emergency issue, and the County Judge said he was going to feed us. And of course, it was boxes and boxes of pizza, free free free. And I had none. Wasn't even tempted. again, true story. We are doing it buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool socks!
    And congrats on the 10 year low!
    I love the pic of biscuits!
    Enjoying them is just what you said....
    Evidence that the change is finally
    starting to internalize in many forms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very glad on the loss! Good for you and keep it up! LOVE biscuits! Glad you stopped at 2!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is what I keep talking about when I say how much you inspire me with your approach!!! Kudos to you, Michele. And - let me just say that you are very much describing what I could define for myself as "normal."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning, Michele!
    As soon as I saw the biscuits I though, 'a lady from my own heart!' My family is all hillbilly so biscuits have always been a staple around my home as a child.
    The old saying, 'slow but steady wins the race' could not be more true in this situation. It took me years and years to get my weight off. I would have liked to have been thinner a lot sooner but it allowed me to grow into my lifestyle by taking things slowly; and it's not like I had a choice because that was just the way my body is. You are doing it the right way and I'm so proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know this is *it* for me because, like you, for the first time this isn't about losing a huge amount of weight in a ridiculously fast time. THIS time I'm aiming for losing slowly over a long period of time, then maintain the loss for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have the same philosophy. Moderation. The occasional treat. Plan for the holidays and birthdays. Months later, in looking back, it really does work. Keep it up, Michele. I am inspired by you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary M!! P.S. I hit my head on the computer screen trying to get to the pic of the biscuits. No fair!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post-inspiring. Thanks! Time for some updated progress pics?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tank you for stopping in on my blog and commenting!! I'm looking forward to reading more here.

    Gratz on the weigh in. That is awesome!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 7 months!!! Great job! The thing in my heart that makes me think that this is it isn't a positive. It's a negative-I don't want to die young, and I sure as hell don't want to do this again! ;-)

    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Being the lowest you have weighed in 10 years is a great achievement; congrats! I like how you have summed your experience into an approach that works for you. A great guide for others who are considering the quick fix approach that has nothing but frustration waiting for them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post Michele. And oh so much congratulations on your 10 year low. You are doing awesome. There is nothing wrong with 27 lbs in 7 months, that's great. Me it's 44 lbs in 12 months. A long time of learning and it's really sticking. I love thinking ahead, planning out the meals a bit and more. It is so cool to look at something and 99% of the time not wanting it.
    Take care Michele and have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love you, Michele. Slow and steady wins the race. And you've hit the nail on the head, "What works for me." That is 27 pounds you are never going to see back again. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your loss and I'm so glad you're finding YOUR own way. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't know your father passed. I am sorry for your loss. It's hard losing our Dads. You are a true inspiration to me and I am glad I read your post before I set some goals for myself. I want to be happy with four pounds a month, too. I was almost tempted to set a forty pound weight loss goal by May, but that sounds like the old me wanting that quick fix. Slow and steady is smart. Getting to the heart of the matter and doing what needs to be done is key.

    I am so happy for your success, Michele!! You have a beaming smile that clearly shows how much this journey to health is doing for you. Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your post Michele! It really is about a full and healthy life and not just a skinny one. Many congratulations to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. No, four pounds a month is just great! Just keep it off and keep going at your own pace!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Michele, BIG congratulations on your progress over the last few (often challenging) months. You are an inspiration!!!! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how you plan ahead... you are planning for success, and getting it.

    You are a great example of that saying "heal the mind and the body will follow". Your thinking has really changed. Loved reading about your biscuit strategy!

    Loretta
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  22. Michele - Big congrats on your new low! Do what is right for you and keep at it! WTG!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just came across your health and fitness blog. Your article about your 7 month health anniversary was especially interesting. I especially liked your comments about reaching a low weight that you haven't been in 10 years; that is awesome and congratulations! I am adding you to my favorites. Since you and your readers are interested in health and fitness, we thought you would like to check out our ab workout machine called The AbStand. The AbStand is a full-body workout machine that provides an easy way for you to keep your New Year's resolution! Any feedback would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Terrific post, Michele. You and I are just about in the same place -- I'm losing slowly, and have had many challenges to sticking with it since I began last year. But the important thing is that I am staying with it. I know I can't go back. And recently what surprises me most is that I NEVER think about quitting anymore...that I know that however long it takes, I will eventually reach some still unknown "goal" weight. But those beautiful biscuits will still have to stay off my table for now...too yummy looking.

    ReplyDelete