Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Seizing the moment!


Seize the moment. We had a lot of fun going to Detroit for the Vikngs/Giants game. The energy from the fans was palatable at all times. Starting at the airport it was Viking hoopla, which continued onto the plane and the bus. I never saw so many varied, sparkling and vibrant Viking’s attire. The cheerleaders, Victor our mascot and our “motorcycle guy,” were all on my plane. The excitement and enthusiasm were something to be a part of! There was also a little drama as the bus with the cheerleaders and MPLS area sports news crews broke down and they all piled in our fan bus for the trip to the field. Imagine going to a game on a cramped bus with cheerleaders and news personnel crowded three to a seat and up and down the aisles. Completely merry and entertaining. The spirit of the fans, unfortunately, did not carry over to our team. That loss made it crystal clear that we are in desperate need of a number of key players, including a quarterback who is not a career back up (TJ). Yep, it was poignant too, to see one of my all time favorite players Brett Favre, chatting with players and coaches and seemingly not paying attention to the game. We were seated about the 45-yard line only 17 rows up, so most of the time, I could keep an eye on him. Brett has had an incredible career and it was fun to be a part of all the momentum last year. This year’s trouble is not just with BF, but lots pieces. In short we need a new game plan for the long haul.

Speaking of game plans: I was so involved in getting ready to go on Monday, that I forgot the most important part of my own game plan: preparing some food and snacks ahead. I ate a quick and early lunch after I finished teaching in the morning, but by the time we were on the plane, I was starving and realized I had not planned for any snacks like I usually do. So, I went off plan and ate the airplane food (hamburger and cookie and some chips). The food was not good, but, I was so hungry, well you get the picture. I did better at the stadium, but did have a couple of my favorite beers: Newcastle. My DIL calls me a beer snob. I just like my beer tasty and robust.

I am not going to beat my self up about the extra 1000 calories I had a Monday at the game and traveling to it (just like I would say to all of you when your game plan falls). Today I weighed in and am holding steady at 22.5 pounds off so no damage here. I did not exercise for two days with the travel whirlwind, but already put in two miles of walking through snow today.

Just as my favorite football teams need to adjust their game plan when things start to go south, I am more conscious than ever about how my journey hinges on planning for meals and snacks. It was a great trip and I would not trade the whirlwind for anything. As a matter of fact, I am so happy that I seized the moment.

So, now you heard about me and seizing the moment: what about you? When was the last time you seized the moment?? Stay strong! Michele

15 comments:

  1. GREAT analogy!
    Perfect, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a question, do you live in town with plowed side walks or out in the country on ice roads? Reason I'm asking, I don't dare walk on our ice of a road and I worry about you walking. Just one Minnesotan to another, you know. I do so miss walking outside, the treadmill is not the same. It's exercise but just not the same.
    Thanks for stopping by. Glad you got to go and enjoy the game. We pretty exciting.
    Take care and have a blessed afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the trip TO the game was as fun and entertaining as the game itself. Way to go, seizing the moment!
    Loretta
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking about you as I was watching that ill-fated game. Going to Detroit was a unique opportunity that I'm glad you could be a part of. Win or lose, it was a one-time deal. But right now, I'm wondering how our Vikes are going to play at the U on Monday night. Did you see all of the snow in the stadium?...on the ground on the seats, etc. It just looks cold to me, and our Vikings are not used to playing outdoors much. You're also right when you say the team needs some new personnel. It seems as though B.F. has given up, and T.J. didn't do well. Big changes ahead--I hope.

    Don't worry about the extra food. It was a special occasion, and you were in the moment. That's life. I think the less you dwell on it, the easier it will be to get back on track.

    In answer to your question, the last time I seized the moment was pretty mild. We couldn't go to Disney on Ice on Sunday (blowing snow and ice on Hwy. 52, so we decided to go to a movie here in town. Because of a projector failure the chosen movie couldn't be shown, and we were told that we could move to another movie AND they gave us free tickets besides. So we "seized the moment," and went to a double feature on Sunday afternoon--first time since high school! Pretty mild, huh? I didn't even eat popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Ane, very good analogy. None of us is perfect, but we have to continually strive to be our best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had fun. I am not a seize the moment gal. That requires spontaneity and flexibility, neither are strengths of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One day off your plan will not deraiil you. That is, provided you get right back on it. It happens to all of us. Some of us say, well, I'll start back on Monday, or next month. Some of us give up completely. But some of us put it behind us, remember the fun we had, and get right back on the plan. We are the winners.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Preparation is so important, and tough to deal with when we don't prepare well.

    Seizing the moment? I did a post last year sometime titled, "When the sun is shining". The point was when things are going great, make the best of it. When they aren't, do your best to hold your own. That is my version of seizing the moment.

    ~South Beach Steve

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah I don't think I would stress over the Monday eating. It is now the exception, not the rule and that is what is important. food is not the enemy, it is to be enjoyed ON OCCASSIONS, not on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am excited to read about your adventure - sounds like it was a blast!! Yay!! I love that you are a beer snob, I love myself a good beer, too, and enjoy two tappers every other week at bowling. This Saturday... the countdown is on! lol As for seizing moments, I have learned when my spirit says "go" to go! This helped me overcome shyness and timidness and anxiety. It's a great thing when one learns to trust oneself. Have a great Thursday, Michelle and thnaks for sharing your Viking Adventure. Eh... we lost... who cares, right? Ten years from now you won't remember if we won or lost, but you will cherish the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of my favorites...was at a conference in NJ a few miles from the Meadowlands. Nets were in the playoffs vs. the Heat. One of my coworkers has a son who works in sports and advised us to buy tix outside during the 1st quarter. Ended up getting decent seats for $25. Saw Shaq and Wade and the Nets had Jefferson and Carter and Kidd (maybe?). Game went to double OT. Was so much fun - totally spontaneous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. P.S. Your face looks much thinner in the Vikes pic than in your profile pic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So did ticket holders get to go to the detroit game, is that how it worked? Sounds like an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, great photo and glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete