Friday, December 10, 2010

Nemesis, cookie baking, 12 days of Christmas Swap and Hottie Update

Nemesis: I do not know if a thing or an object can be a nemesis, but if it can, I have one: my exercise bike. You all know how I discovered my biker within this past summer and fall and know that my main exercise has been biking. Well, you also know that winter has set into Minnesota making outdoor biking treacherous. Last week, I vowed to pull out the old exercise bike and use it instead. Well, here is what I have to say: it is not the REAL thing by a long shot. Actually, as much as I LOVE biking, I HATE getting on that bike. Why? Well, for one I am indoors. But, secondly, it does not even feel like a bike. But, here is the deal: I AM going to stick with it (and logged two full hours this past week on it) because the pedaling that I am doing, well boring and mundane because there is no scenery, is creating a workout sweat that I have not experienced before and this is in a LOW gear. How can this be, Michele, you might ask? Well, I was not as bike fit as I thought. I might have some biking legs out on the trails, but, this bike, puts me to shame. Using only a low gear (the second to the lowest) I can only do about 7-8 minutes and then I have to take a water or other break for a few moments. This was an EYE opener for me. Thus, my nemesis: I’m inside, and I am not as fit as I thought. What to do: move forward and conquer that bike. You know I will!!

Next news:
Wednesday was our day care day for grandbabies. Can you guess what holiday baking activity we did? Yep, making and baking Christmas cookies after the older three (7, 6, 5) were out of school! It was fantastic with definite memories made. But, guess what?? I did not have a single baked cookie (yes, a small taste of dough) and NO licks of frosting or any frosting whatsoever!!! This is a bell ringer for me because I am a supper cookie and frosting girl. Love them. Here is the evidence that I had no licks:
Did you notice there is left over frosting?? Well, in the old Michele days, that would have been gone. Not, now. That extra frosting is stored in the fridge for the next time it is our day care day and the next cookie bake. By the way: that picture also includes the last cookie left after my hubby (a cookie monster) ate the others on the plate. Better him than me!!

Twelve Days of Christmas Swap: Kenz and Janna are sponsoring a little Twelve Days of Christmas exchange. I signed up as a different way to spread Christmas cheer. Here is a picture (shh) of the package I prepared for my partner Erin. I will share later about the items including some regifting!
Hot 100 Challenge update!!
I completed my tenth week of the Hot 100 Challenge! Last week
I revised my goals. Here is my update:

1.Lose an additional 8 pounds by December 31, 2010.
I weighed in this week and have no loss to report.

2. Biking and walking: I targeted 15 miles for this week: I did 11, so close.
Next week: I hope for the whole 15. I am super excited to report that
I made my 15 mile target on the exercise bike (my nemesis)!

3.Take care of myself each day by eating less,
moving more, and eating plenty of fruits and veggies.

I continue to take good care of myself. I ate more salad this week and ate at least two fruit servings everyday. So, definitely a plus for this goal.

4.Have more 1200 calories days in a week than 1500-calorie days.
Better than last week. Four out of seven were 1200 calories. So, another winner!

5.Drink more water.
Definitely a habit. I challenged myself last week to a limit of 1-2 diet sodas a day.
I did perfect on this challenge 5/7 days. Not perfect. Next week: 7/7.

How about you? How are you doing on your goals for the Hot 100 Challenge?

Have a great week end everyone and stay strong in your journey!
Michele

11 comments:

  1. Keep going girl, you are going to master that bike!!

    Proud of you!!

    Keep focused!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about the bike. I feel the same way about my treadmill. As you know, I am an avid hiker and walker, but some days in the winter it's just not possible to get to any of my hiking or walking places and in the basement I have a very nice treadmill which is my substitute on those days. But as you say, it is most certainly NOT the same and I have to DRAG myself downstairs to it.

    But as you say, we do it anyway and what helps me most is reminding myself that staying in shape will make a huge difference the next time weather permits me to be in the mountains for a long hike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic post, Michelle!! By the spring thaw up there, you are going to REALLY be in biking shape! But, I hear you about the lack of scenery. I suppose you can't pull the thing onto a covered or screened in porch for that outdoors experience. lol

    Okay, it is cute that the gingerbread man has a belly. And it is awesome that you didn't touch a single cookie. THAT would have been very difficult for me - to pass up freshly baked gingerbread. I imagine your live-in cookie monster will polish that off before the weekend though ... whew!

    Keep up the good work! You are changing your body, even while others hibernate for the winter up there. Oh wait, Bears are in Chicago. You have Vikings up there. LOL

    I really enjoyed reading your post - great way to start my Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the end of the winter, your legs will be powerhouses and you'll enjoy longer rides outside even more! Be the master of that bike!

    Great on the goals! So glad you didn't cave ont he cookies, they are so not worth it! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, I have a really nice exercise bike sitting in our exercise room. I haven't used it in over a year, so I share your sentiment! Do you cross country ski? That's become my goal - three days a week. It is a GREAT work out!! I am slow, but can only get better from here.. lol. I have to be outside actually doing something, too. You have great motivation and dedication and you are truly perservering!! Great job!!! Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you rocked that cookie baking! My husband, at my request, got me a stand for my bike one year for Christmas. So I could ride the real thing indoors. I hated it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome job on the cookies! I LOVE cookies. definitely a trigger for me also. Your pragmatic and calm determination are inspiring to my spastic emotional side. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go on the goals and the cookie and frosting. Kick that nemesis butt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Keep on rocking that bike and you'll be so ready to jump on for a neighborhood cruise when the spring thaw comes around. I can't wait to get your package. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job, Michele! Awesome on the cookies. It's funny, I had the exact opposite thing happen on the bike. I used to ride the stationery bike some years ago and I would rock that bike. Then I went on vacation and decided to go biking with my cousin...I couldn't even make it to the main road..we had to go back!

    You just rock, Ms. Lady. Keep up the greatness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go Michele!!! On the bike riding AND the cooking and frosting resisting. You are a strong, determined woman!!!

    ReplyDelete