Friday, December 17, 2010

Julie & Julia, Happy Friday and Hottie Update


Happy Friday!
I did get on my Nemesis (stationary bike) this week a few times for a total of 1.5 hours. I have learned that having a glass of water close by and a TV with DVD takes my mind off the fact that I want to be outside. This week, while on my bike, I watched the recent movie, Julie and Julia. If you have not seen this, do. It is terrific and Meryl Streep is a great Julia Child. I find myself saying: ”I love it!” much more often now. But a couple of things stand out for me about this movie: 1). The food looks terrific and cooked with no shortage of fats or other flavorings, including butter and wine. However, now remember this is movie, although they eat rich and delicious food, they appear to eat in moderation. The other thing that I noticed is that the food was not heavily processed to begin with. Julia’s cooking processed the food for eating; not a food processing giant. She started with overall simple (although French) ingredients. Never once would I say Julia Child was overweight or obese. In fact, I think she looked great. Then there is me: I cannot say that the foods that got me to this place were like those in the movie, except, well I adore butter. But, it was mainly processed foods and overeating of these processed foods that got me in the pickle I am now working on.

The second thing that hit home to me with this movie was the determination and perseverance that was so apparent in Julia (getting her book published) and Julie (making all those recipes). Determination and perseverance is what we all need now, including me, and especially in the holiday season. For me, it is a determination to get on that bike so I can keep up the exercise part of my journey. But, it is also a perseverance to eat less, too, and throughout the holidays. An excellent movie with multiple messages that hit home for all of us on our journey toward better health.

Hot 100 Challenge update!!
I completed my eleventh week of the Hot 100 Challenge!
Here is my update:

1.Lose an additional 8 pounds by December 31, 2010.
I weighed in this week and have no loss to report, but
I did not gain anything from that hamburger. So this is a win for me!

2. Biking and walking: I am going to change the exercise goal from a certain
number of miles per week on my Nemesis and walking to an hour of exercise for both.
A combination of biking and walking 6 out of 7 days a week is a more realistic
target for me in Minnesota winters. This week I am happy to report that I completed
5/7 days of exercising for one hour. So, a little down. Next week 6/7/

3.Take care of myself each day by eating less,
moving more, and eating plenty of fruits and veggies.
I continue to take good care of myself.
I ate more salad this week and ate at least two fruit servings everyday.
So, a win on this goal.

4.Have more 1200 calories days in a week than 1500-calorie days.
Better than last week. Four out of seven were 1200 calories. So, another winner!

5.Drink more water.
Definitely a habit in terms of the water. I challenged myself two weeks
ago to a limit of 1-2 diet sodas a day.
I did perfect on this challenge 7/7 days.

How about you? How are you doing on your goals for the Hot 100 Challenge?

Have a great week end everyone and stay strong in your journey!
Michele

10 comments:

  1. I also loved the movie Julie and Julia. I sometimes wonder what Julie is doing, since it was based on a true story. You're right about the perseverance. This is the time of the year when we have to be as strong as possible. I feel as though I will be home free if I can just get through the next couple of weeks! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting observations from that movie. I wonder what would happen if I ate wonderfully cooked meals but cut out snacks? But the butter would not be good for my cholesterol:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed that movie too. I even made that grilled bread w/ tomatoes on top toasted thing.... several time (this was a year ago) SOOO good.

    It's good to realize moderation. For some of us (cough cough) moderation turns into obsession and compulsive eating and then binge eating and thus obesity ensues. So then we go back to the Pre-moderation and hopefully move into a healthier moderate moderation. I wonder how many times I can put moderation in a paragraph (I need to be more moderate in my writing!).

    Well, enjoy your weekend, dear Michele, and keep up your great work!

    ~Margene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Determination and perserverance! Great goals to have! I liked that movie but I LOVED the part with Julia Child/Meryl Streep. The other part was just OK to me, I totally fell in love with Meryl Streep though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched that movie last January 1, which means I missed a bowl game, and therefore nominated myself for early Husband of the Year consideration. What surprised me is how much Julie cursed! Just wasn't expecting that. (Not judging)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I like Julie and Julia, although I found Julie to be whiny and annoying LOL.

    There is such a difference between real cooked food and industrial food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are sure doing well on that challenge! Adn I very much liked Julie and Julia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That DVD/ TV is key for me!
    I once was "purist" and tried to walk for love of walking!
    heehee
    Live and learn..... and then get a tv!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent getting the fruit and veggies in !! :D

    I like the idea of working out and watching a movie. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on getting on your bike!! I have a treadmill and I have to have the tv or I will go nuts!

    That movie was one of the last things that helped me get started on my weight loss and fitness journey. I thought if she could spend a year cooking, I could spend a year getting this weigth off. I did it and I'm 54 pounds down!! I am going to have the same focus this year and get another 50 off!! Just one year at a time!

    Keep focused!

    ReplyDelete