Friday, December 3, 2010

Happy Friday and Hottie Update!

Today marks the end of my 9th week of the 100 Hot Challenge hosted by Southbeach Steve. I am happy to report that the scale gave me a positive nod today, down .5. I am now down a total of 22.5 pounds. Slow and deliberate that is my journey. I am not perfect in my eating, nor in exercise, but I am moving forward every day.

Winter has set in to Minnesota. As I write this post it is 6 degrees outside!! We also had some snow and icy rain this week; a true wintery mix. Now I knew this weather change was coming because I lived in Minnesota for over 22 years, but, I never became so accustomed to exercising outdoors as I have since I started this journey in June. This week, I did get one bike run in (a mini; and don’t worry Anne H, I was safe) for 3.5 miles. I also walked about 10 miles all together. While the walking is up; biking is down. I know that I will be able to bike outdoors off and on through the winter, but not regular like I did and would like. So, in my ninth week: I am revising my goals for the 100 Hot Challenge so that I ride an exercise bike at least 15 miles a week. While that is not the sum I am used to, it is a number that I can realistically do and will keep my biking up. When the roads are clear and clean where I live, I will try for outdoor time as well.

I am going to adjust my goal of weight loss for the challenge, too. Twelve pounds is just not in the cards for me. I am going to shoot for 8 pounds off by December 31 (this is a week date change, too). I am more than half way there, so I think this target is more realistic for me.

Water: I am doing really well with this. But, here is another place where I am going to challenge myself. I am a diet soda addict (Okay, I admit it). I drink 2-3 cans of diet Pepsi a day. So, my challenge is to decrease my diet soda intake to 1-2 a day.

Here is the rest of my update:

1.Lose an additional 8 pounds by December 31, 2010.
I lost a total of 4.5 pounds since the Hottie Challenge started,
so I am getting closer to this target.

2. Biking and walking: This week I rode my bike for 3.5 miles. I walked about 10. While my walking is up from my usual target of 8, I want to push myself to do 15 walking miles next week (weather permitting). As I wrote above, I will target 15 miles on the exercise bike for next week, too.

3.Take care of myself each day by eating less, moving more, and
eating plenty of fruits and veggies.

I continue to take good care of myself.
But, I slacked off this week some what. I ate plenty of fruits; but, only twice did I eat a big salad. Next week I will plan on making salads the night before so that they are easy to go.

4.Have more 1200 calories days in a week than 1500-calorie days.
Not so good this week. Most days were 1500.
I guess after my victory over Thanksgiving, I became too relaxed.

5.Drink more water. Definitely a habit.
Now I will increase this challenge for me by trying to limit my diet sodas to 1-2 a day.

How about you? How are you doing on your goals for the Hot 100 Challenge?

Have a great week end everyone and stay strong in your journey!
Michele


PS: Kenz over at All the Way is sponsoring a Twelve Days of Christmas Gift Swap. I see it as a great way to keep me merry and bright as this Holiday season (and for me the end of a semester) surround us. Plus, it is a way to give a little to someone else in bloggyland. This is also an example of how I am pushing myself to do things that I never thought about doing before. It is not about the "presents" but the gift of cyber-friendship spread across bloggy land. So, great idea, Kenz! How about you? Wanna join up, too??

17 comments:

  1. Hey there Michele. I am so impressed with your ability to plug along and not expect any huge losses. I think I am about to have to lean on you. I weighed in this morning and only saw a 2 pound loss for the last two weeks. I was ready for a bad number, not quite that bad though. I am betting I will be back on track next time though. Great Hot 100 update, and it is fine to adjust your goals. I don't think I would be getting my butt out in 6 degree weather I promise you that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year my great blog friends introduced me to the concept of "Progress, not perfection." And I think it could be the key to success for many of us. I am impressed that you would even think about biking outdoors up there this time of year! I have not been on mine in a couple of weeks and think the season is over for me... I am a wimp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your goals and weight loss! Slow and steady wins the race, and you WILL win. Stay warm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slow and steady still will get there!!! Yes, spring will be nice to get outside but SO far away! Keep up those exercises, good for you for not stopping.

    I stopped cold turkey with the diet pop a year or so ago. I LOVE my diet coke but it was just too bad, just my water now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 6 degrees!
    Yep, winter is h-h-here.
    Sorry - my teeth were chattering by proxy.

    Water and calories - we can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are doing such a wonderful job, congratulations to you. I will have to check out the 100 Hot Challenge. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are doing really well on the challenge! That is how I found your blog by the way! I try to visit a few different blogs from the Hot 100 every week.

    I wish you well with cutting back on your diet sodas. I have heard that it makes a big change for most people, they are packed with sodium. They do taste good though!

    I am having a cookbook giveaway so stop by my blog and enter if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome goals girl! I just love your positive attitude.
    Yay, you joined the 12 days of Christmas. It's going to be so fun!!

    ~Margene

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to congratulate you on your success so far. The scale is simply reflecting your perserverence. I love your slow and steady approach. I am glad our paths crossed. I disappeared for a bit because I was just so... frustrated... with this whole "weight loss ordeal." I am getting real now. Just trying to find that healthy balance - structure, discipline AND feeling good, spiritual goals. But, truthfully, my weight has GOT TO start going down. This is it. Anyway, thanks for checking in with me again. I am here now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Slow's the way to go! I'm a diet soda addict in recovery too - good luck, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Outside exercise is difficult when it's soooo coooold. We'll just have to hold our own until the spring thaw. Any loss is great, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you just love Minnesota. I've been here my full life and no matter what I complain when winter starts. It doesn't bother me now but those first few weeks makes me a meanie. I haven't been out walking, I really miss it. Bike riding hates me almost as much as I hate it. I do go with Mike but only cuz he asks. Good thing he has a dirt bike now. :o)
    You are doing excellent. I have 9 lbs more to go this month. Then I will have hit my 45 lb mark for this year. We can do it, I know we can!!!
    Take care Michele and thank you for stopping by. Take care and God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like that you are flexible in adjusting your goals. That 8 pounds certainly sounds doable. It's nice to meet another Hottie!

    And thank you for your supportive comment on my blog, I appreciated that!
    Loretta
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, hi, Michele! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment.

    Unfortunately, you found me during a moaning and groaning, wayward time. I plan on cleaning up my act.

    Congratulations on your progress and your good job with goals! I'll be stopping back to visit when I have the "seat strength" to read some past posts. :D

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're doing great my friend. Keep it up!! And stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are doing a great job! I think it is important to be flexible enough in your goals that you can keep motivated to keep trying. Too many people think they can't meet a goal so just give up. Great attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like this is a little more challenging of a time period for you (just a LITTLE bit). This is the time of year when we're looking desperately for more light, just as the days get shorter and darker and shorter and darker. Think about the fire inside you. There's the light, burning big!

    ReplyDelete