Monday, December 6, 2010

100 post, ruminations and goals

Today marks my 100th (!!) post on this, my weight loss and regaining my health blog. I started blogging on June 26, 2010 . I am now past the 5 month mark on my journey and now, today, the 100th post about it, too. Three things top my list for ruminations today.

1.Slow and steady is the way for me in moving toward regaining my health and building a new healthy and new me history: I am making progress each and every day. My scale victory amounts to 22.5 pounds, which for me is excellent. I am developing patience and determination to accept my slow and steady progress as well. I have had many NSVs including greater stamina and fitting into smaller sized clothes. I credit four things to my success:

First: Plan. Plan. Plan. I simply have carved out a new habit where I plan my food in advance of any event, function or just plain life by bringing food with me in a cooler type lunch box.

Second: I make sure that I have healthy snacks within reach.

Third: I have learned how to be more mindful about my eating.

Fourth: I am building an accountability system and network through blogging (read more here). The tremendous support and encouragement I receive from all of you is not trivial!

2. Self Discovery: These past five months and 100 posts have been a journey, too in self-discovery. Over these past few months, I burst past (FINALLY!!!!) my own denial. It is funny how when you are immersed in denial, you don’t know it. Well, that was me. Never really thinking I was THAT obese person or that I could make changes and for good and that it could be easy. Yes, easy.

I wrote at Thanksgiving that I am on a journey to set me free of my obesity and to regain my health. In so doing I am uncovering the complexities whether they be emotional, physical, or psychological that pushed me into obesity in the first place. I am learning to love me and to care for myself. I know that my gift of caring for myself, is also an implicit gift to those I love and care deeply about: my family, my grandbabies, my hubby.

3. Goals: Now that I have been at this for five months and understand my body’s own progress I find it is time to set some goals. Setting goals was not really something I was thinking about until I read a post from Faridha. Faridha challenged us bloggers to think about our own goals to become our best self. After 5 months at it, I believe it is about time. So here are my goals for my journey to better health until May 2011:

First goal: Be at 170 by the middle of April 2011; I weigh in now at 190.5. This is a reasonable target for me because I lose about one pound a week. Nineteen weeks and 20 pounds. I am picking the middle of April because I will be presenting two papers at conferences, one in New Orleans and one in Orlando. This is an incentive for me to wear some professional clothes that are sized down!

Second goal: Keep up my fitness level and increase the rigor of my regime: Per week, I aim for 25 or so miles on bike (either stationery or outdoor bike) my goal is to increase this to 35 miles by middle of April 2011. l walk now about 8 miles per week. I would like to increase this to 15 miles per week by middle April 2011. I would also like to start the C25K Running Program (Couch to 5km) by February 19. By my birthday (May 22) I would like to have run/walk my fist 5KM. The C25K Running Program (Couch to 5km) lasts about 9 weeks which would be May 1 for me.

I will sign off from this post, by once again expressing my gratitude to all of you, readers and followers who are sharing in this journey with me with your own enthusiasm, support and encouragement. Stay strong everyone!
Michele

15 comments:

  1. Congrats Michele! You will totally reach your goal by April! Can't wait to see you succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your blogging milestone and kudos on your great approach to your progress to date and plans for the future. I find your slow and steady progress and your continual commitment to be inspiring:) Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay - congrats!
    I don't set goals.... except goals not to mess up!
    Perhaps I should start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for you, Michele. You have made wonderful progress, and I'm so glad to be doing this with you. I understand what you say about uncovering the complexities that led you into weight gain in the first place. I don't think that for the most part it's about the food. It's about us, who we are, where we came from, and how we view outselves, and how we learned to use food in an earlier stage of life. Congratulations for working so hard on recovering yourself. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got it going ON Michele! I adore you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome, Michele ... congratulations on 5 months of slow and steady progress! Setting goals is a good thing. It keeps people focused on where they'd like to be, and focused attention leads to consistent and lasting results. I'm really looking forward to see where April finds you! You may even surprise yourself. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fact you post pictures of your loss's! I don't think I have the courage for that. :) keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, 100 posts, good for you! I like how you were very specific in stating your goals. I wrote down some short term and long term goals but after reading yours I think I need to be a little more specific, such as how I am going to accomplish a specific goal, similar to your increase bike by 10 mi per week..
    I can also identify with the part of learning to care about yourself again, something I am working hard at.
    I could use your example of patience, something I do not possess a great deal of, but need to work on =)
    Continue the wonderful progress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on 100 posts!! Great goals

    ReplyDelete
  10. 100 posts is a great accomplishment! Keep up the good work, and the Vikes winning "streak"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your 100th post!!!! And your success to date. I'm looking forward to the next 100, and the 100 after that....

    ReplyDelete
  12. And I have been with you all the way. You have inspired me to set some firm goals for next year. Thinking about the C25K.

    ReplyDelete
  13. *~*~*~ You Inspire Me ~*~*~*~

    I am so impressed by your journey because you keep it real and reasonable and simple. In five months I want to look back with the same kind of satisfaction I can feel from your post about your own journey.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YEAH!!! Michele. You have done so well in your 5 months and in another 5 months you will be fit and trim and ready for your conferences.
    Wonderful, magnificent, awesome...are just a few words that discribe your journey. You go girl, I know you can do it!!
    Take care and God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michele,

    Congrats on your 100th post and once again great goals. I am inspired by your ability to accept the "slow & steady". That one is a challenge for me. It seems though that your perspective is great and healthy to maintain that attitude. You have not measured your success by a scale or by just one thing for that matter. It allows you to look for "the signs" of success in other ways. I think a list is in order so others can learn from your example. I really like the stamina. I have been shocked by how fit I am becoming. I did a ZUMBA workout a few weeks ago that would give me fits before and I got through it in a breeze. BTW, my health report is positive. Thanks for your well wishes and positive thoughts. I adore you...I think someone else said that!

    ReplyDelete