Wednesday, November 24, 2010

This journey to better health and thankfulness

When I was in Spain I read two books. The first one was the Confession, the new legal thriller about the death penalty from John Grisham. It lived up to its billing, was a page turner, and a thought provoking read. The second book: Such A Pretty Face (Cathy Lamb, 2010) was a book I received from Lanie Painie as an award (Thanks, Lanie!). I am glad I did. This book is the story of a recovering obese woman who faces the trauma and tragedy that marked her youth that pushed her to find solace and comfort in food. It is a deeply poignant story. It is the last book that gives me pause for the ruminations that will be today’s post.

I am on a journey to set me free of my obesity and to regain my health. In so doing I am uncovering the complexities whether they be emotional, physical, or psychological that pushed me into obesity in the first place. These growing understandings are not trivial and for me a necessary part of this journey if I am to be successful in reclaiming my health. I know that as I make steady progress in losing weight and increasing my fitness stamina and strength, I am, also, confronting the trauma of my youth and a life lived where I was not able nor ready to look after the most important person in my life: me. I have written before about how I am facing my own denial and finally meeting it head on. I am confronting my past so that I can move forward. I am learning to love me and to care for myself. Part of this caring is indeed painful as I revisit and move forward from difficult memories, a life time of bad habits and a life lived in a state of denial. No matter how painful, though, I am moving forward in ways that I never thought possible. I love what I am finding underneath, too, a woman who cares deeply about herself and her well-being. At this time of Thanksgiving, I am grateful for me, the incredible life that I have had, and this journey that I have finally taken. I know that my gift of caring for myself, is also an implicit gift to those I love and care deeply about: my family, my grandbabies, my hubby. By my taking care of myself I am contributing to a Happy Thanksgiving for those who mean so much to me.

What about you?
In what ways are you thankful for your journey to better health?

Travel safely and Have a Great Thanksgiving!
Michele

11 comments:

  1. I read The Confession recently too! Did you read his non-fiction book a few years ago about the same topic? He clearly has an agenda and has me convinced.

    What you share about your journey is very touching, Michele. How wonderful that you love what you are discovering about yourself:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, thoughtful post, Michele. I truly believe that obesity is a multi-faceted condition that has very deep roots. Like you, I have also been dealing with childhood issues that have played a significant role in my life-long struggle with overeating. Not deaing with them is likely why I have always regained. I am doing what I can to make things different this time by learning to handle life's ups and downs without the necessity of soothing myself with food. It's hard to unlearn and deal with habits developed as defense mechanisms in childhood. We were vulnerable and did what we could. But I believe that we can change.

    Blessings to you and your family tomorrow on Thanksgiving Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denial is a tricky subject.
    I never try to "get past" denial.
    It's there for protection.
    And it only breaks through
    when we are truly ready.
    But when we have no more need of it,
    we can be even more thankful for our
    new-found abilities to cope and recover!
    And move from being REactive to
    being PROactive in our own lives.
    And maybe actually ENJOY them!

    Happy happy TGiving to you, and yours!
    And thanks for all of your support and comments over on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. Confronting the feelings that have run my life and driven me to overeat is the hard work I am facing. The weight loss is just a side benefit. My first granddaughter was just born and she gives me hope and desire to take care of myself so I will be around to see her grow.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think uncovering those complexities that lead us to obesity in the first place is harder than losing the weight itself, at least for me. It's the way I perceive things that happen around me and the way I perceive myself. I am working on overcoming years of self-loathing, years of loneliness from lack of true friends which I greatly desire. It's still a grueling path for me, but losing the amount of weight I have so far is part of my "shedding" of that old self.... I'm still a work in progress! Thanks for sharing and Happy Thanksgiving!

    Blessings...
    ~Margene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michele, Have a FANTASTIC Thanksgiving!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving, Michele. I appreciate you sharing your journey. I'm grateful that I've learned what I have before my 40th birthday, if barely, hopefully early enough to get it all turned around. And I have a wonderful family/life. Very thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am grateful for the journey. I know there is a purpose in all of this. I am certainly a stronger person because of it.

    I don't have regrets for the past. It seems the whole world is open and ready and I'm ready to explore it. Finally!!! So exciting!!!

    Keep focused!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving my friend!!

    - The Heavy Man

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am grateful that I have decided to take control of my life and figure out ways to be healthy so that I can take care of my family (my son and his father and even my parents later on).

    I'm thankful that I am now a better example for my son. I'm thankful that I find inspiration to stay on my journey from places that I did not know were there eight months ago (like you, Michele).

    I'm thankful that people like you have the courage to share yourself with the universe so that we can learn and grow from your own experiences, find solace and friendship and pick ourselves up when we fall.

    Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete