Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"Post" Halloween!

Halloween is behind us now. Back in the summer I took Sean Anderson’s advise to add 1000 calories to my daily budget for these special occasion days. I am happy to report that I came in at only 900. The best news for me is that I did not eat a SINGLE piece of candy or other Halloween treat until the actual day. Knowing that I allowed myself the extra 1000 calories helped me to feel like I was not deprived. Our family, adult kids and grandkids, gather at our home for dinner, pumpkin carving and to go out for trick or treats. We always plan a BBQ even though Halloween for us usually borders on cold (highs in the 40’s during the day). A crisp and still weather day made all of the festivities that much more fun. Our family dressed up as Star Wars characters this year (all of us!!). Enjoy a "family" picture:
So, how did you spend that 900 calories, Michele, you might be wondering? Well: some candy (butterfingers snack size and a gorp type medley that we love with peanuts, candy corn, pretzels, M & M’s and raisins), a couple of low fat raisin pumpkin cookies (recipe is here) and a couple of pats of butter on the carrot/potato/onion dish that we make.

Despite doing reasonably well over Halloween, I am going to take Shane’s idea and cut my extra calories to 500 for Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve and Day. If Shane can do it, I can do it, too! What about you, what is your plan for the upcoming holidays and eating?

Stay strong. TTFN, Michele

14 comments:

  1. I think that is a good plan!! I think that if I make myself feel deprived during those special holidays that I feel like I am missing something and if I feel like I am missing something then I won't stay on track. We all have a rebellious side and sometimes we have to feed that side too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVELOVELOVELOVE the photo!!!
    so cute.

    next year I wanna do a family dress up as well.

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Michele! I am glad to hear about it! I am lucky that I don't really have a strong sweet tooth, so Halloween wasn't a great challenge for me. I suspect that Thanksgiving will be. We will get through it together though! I saw your post on my blog regarding how cold it is here. It is apparently no where near as cold as your neck of the woods, but being a deep south guy, I do not have the access to those cool clothes ya'll have up there! Also, I just am not acclimated for the cold, so even with layers on, I get freezing booty cold (cleaned that up for your blog...lol). Especially my face, and I just can't take it! You are right that I do prefer the outdoors, but I will prolly relegate myself to the treadmill for the winter and I have made peace with it. But thanks for the layering suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allowing a PLANNED-for extra 1000 calories seems like a good idea. I think tho that I'd spend a huge amount of time planning exactly what I can fit in those 1000 calories.

    500 seems good. I might do that for the Thanksgiving 4-day weekend. Maybe.

    Vee at http://veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a calorie counter but that sounds like a very reasonable approach to me. I know not everyone agrees, but I think there should be some leeway in our lives for special events now and then, if we can handle them with some amount of moderation. I'm not there yet... tending to go all or nothing and more often than not it is a huge eating binge. So maybe I should rethink and have that little allowance like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay- congratulations for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michele, I love the picture of your family. Looks like you had a blast!!!

    Keep focused on your plan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is a great idea. No feeling like your deprieved so no pretending you didn't eat that or skip counting that. Good idea!!!
    Thanks for stopping by Michele. I love it that you came back to read what's happening. Thank you!
    I hope that you have a great and blessed afternoon. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How nice of you to offer me an extra 1,000 calories for a special day. I already blew the last holiday and it wasn't because of candy. I am going to try this on Thanksgiving and see if giving myself permission will slow it down to just the one day instead of spreading over a 4 or 5 day period.

    Cute photo!
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a good plan and you did well with it. Go you!

    I love the photo of your family! Looks like a really fun time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you are planning ahead and remaining in control Michele.. I think deprivation long term is what stops our healthy eating campaigns.

    Love the halloween costumes - and oh - those fantastic pictures from Yosemite! How glorious! My sort of outdoors! :) One day I hope I'll be able to afford a trip out there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm seriously thinking about doing the calorie counting. Right now i'm counting weight watcher points.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a FANTASTIC photo of your family!!! How fun!!!!! And yay you for planning ahead for the holidays!!! (Good grief, I seem a bit "exclaimation happy" today!!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome photo! You must have been feeling the force to be able to get through a Halloween!

    Yes, the feeling of "I'm not allowed to have this" really messes with the mind and goals. This year I gave out Halloween pencils and rubber mice instead of candy. My kids gave me a few pieces of my favorites from their stash (parent tax, ya know! -- just kidding, they offered) and I ate them without guilt.

    ReplyDelete