Thursday, November 11, 2010

Patience and determination

Dr. Fit to Fat had a great post on Wednesday about Marcus Dupree. As I read her post, I was reminded of just how much patience and determination it takes for all of us in our weight loss journey. For me, patience is required, because my body responds slowly with my reward of weight loss. I started this journey on June 26th. If you have been following my blog, you know that I am practicing the adage of eating less, moving more and staying in the range of 1200-1500 calories a day. Since I started (4.5 months ago), I have lost 22 pounds. That works out to about 1 pound a week. I am A-OK with that amount. My goal is to move forward, and allow myself to be human on the journey. It is after all, a life journey. For me that means not depriving myself of foods that I enjoy by budgeting the extra calories in, or going over on special days (Halloween, for example). I used to live in a fantasy world of losing 10 pounds or more in a month. I no longer think that way. One pound a week, Michele, is great for me. I am learning to be patient as to the amount of time it takes to lose. But patience is not all I am learning in this journey. You know from my post a couple of days ago that I stalled in my weight loss for over 6 weeks. Meaning that I did not record any weight loss. This is where determination comes in. The old Michele would have given up, but no longer. I am determined to move forward and to regain my health. What about you, what are you learning about your own patience and determination on your journey??

9 comments:

  1. You've grown wise too, Michele. I like the line, "it is, after all, a life journey." It is so easy to get caught up (and hung up) on those scale readings, but it is important to keep perspective.

    Question: Does weight loss slow in winter, in Minneapolis, due to hibernation? lol You guys get some COLD weather up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud you for having the courage to do your own thing and lose weight the way that is best for you. Yes it does take patience & perseverance, but that just proves how strong you are. Congratulations on your 22 lb. loss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny thing is I have learned over many years of yo-yo dieting that I lose very slowly. Very. But there is always still that little voice in the back of my head that wants it to go faster! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele: What I have learned is to just put one foot in front of the other, do my very best every day, and take the rewards as they come. There have been some hills and valleys, but I just keep plodding along. The goal is not just the pot at the end of the rainbow, but the fabulous journey along the way. Patience is not, nor has it ever been, my strong suit, but I know if I keep doing the work, I'll get what I need. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patience i believe is the biggest thing we need in our journeys to lose weight! I also think that gradually our eating styles change and it's amazing to me what i consider delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Michelle. Patience and consistency are the most important things in the weight loss struggle. I have found that if I am consistent with my food and exercise, the weight always comes off. It's when I get off track for even a day or two that I get set back and frustrated. You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the shout out Michelle. I really like your calm perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just thinking of this today. PATIENCE. It is an entire lifestyle change. Not a sprint to the finish line. I want a real lifestyle change and to be in life for the long haul.


    Congrats on your loss thus far!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michele, in a bit of weirdness, I actually set out to do exactly what you are doing. I wanted to lose one to two pounds a week. I have done nothing to an extreme. My eating has been foods that I enjoy, only less of them. My exercise has been a sustainable level, nothing to an extreme. I have just had a great deal of success in having large losses. I have steeled myself for the week that is inevitably on its way that I don't have a 4 pound loss but rather a one pound loss. I don't want to get spoiled by these large losses consecutively and lose focus later. So this post may get put on my favorites so I can go back and look at it for perspective when that weigh in gets here. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete