Monday, November 22, 2010

Back from Spain and Thanksgiving Week!

I am back from Spain. It was a great trip. Overall I ate well and kept my exercise up, not perfect, but really good. Winter has definitely hit Minnesota. Both yesterday and today we have had freezing rainy drizzle with accompanying slick roads. As you can imagine loads of accidents. Freezing rain is the weather that I dread the most. Now begins my sojourn into finding indoor exercise that will assist me in moving forward in my journey toward better health.

Thanksgiving week. I have a great deal to be thankful for, as I am sure all of you do to. Today I will write about two particular aspects of my life that exemplify my own blessings for which I am incredibly thankful: 1). This journey to regain my health and 2). my life’s partner.

Regaining my health. This will be the first Thanksgiving where I know that I will eat reasonably and in control. I am certain that I will not binge and when Thanksgiving is over, I will not regret one thing that I ate. “How can that be, Michele” (you may ask)? Well, here is how: I made the decision on June 26th to take care of my health. You all know that I am slowly making progress (lost 22 pounds and have increased my strength and stamina through regular exercise). I eat well, most of the time; eating between 1200-1500 calories per day. I do not deprive myself of foods that I enjoy, instead I have learned to build the calorie budget for these foods into my daily allotment. This is the first time in recent years that I can remember going into Thanksgiving and the holidays in general thinking about my own health, rather than postponing or ignoring my weight issues and eating what ever I feel like all with the thinking that come January, I will take care of myself.

In June, I made the decision to regain my health and to not put it off any more. I am for once, taking care of me, and in so doing trying to understand all the complex emotional, physical and sociological influences that contribute to why I overate in the first place and ignored my own health and well being. I am committed to this journey. I love the “new me” that is emerging from my journey and want more than anything to keep taking care of myself. I have plowed through 4.5 months of sensible eating and exercise and weathered some pretty big emotional events (passing of father, for one) all without binging or overeating. I am at and have reached a turning point, where I will not go back. I just have lost my desire (again for now) to go back to what I was and how I responded to life through food. I know I will not go back. I know I will not go back. I know I will not go back. I am different this time around, my dear readers, and that is why I know that this Thanksgiving I will do great and am facing the holiday without any fear what so ever. It feels great to be me right now! (See my rumination label for more on this if you like).

My life’s partner: Do you walk through life with a life partner?? Well, I do, too. I know that this is THE most significant blessing of my life and one that I try not to take for granted. I could never imagine as a youth, living through a tumultuous and dysfunctional childhood, that I would be as deeply loved as I am by my life’s partner. It is the love from him to me that enabled me to finally make the decision to take care of my health so that I WILL continue to share my life with this fabulous human being and that the life I share is healthier and much more fit. The health risks that I put between us were and are life threatening and serious: the risk of diabetes being number 1. I do not want that life for me or for him. Thus, move more and eat less is my adage.

I am sure this week of Thanksgiving will provide much ruminating about our individual and collective blessings in blogland. I look forward to reading your own thoughts this week as we all stop to remind ourselves of our good fortune. TTFN and stay strong in your journey, Michele

9 comments:

  1. I loved reading this. You are so where I want to be. I can hear the resolve in your voice. I am actually sitting it, just in awe at how you are living this life in a way that it is meant to be lived. How you have found your way and that it clearly is something you can do for a very long time to come. You have truly embodied what I think so many of us are striving for on this journey to a healthy lifestyle. Congratulations Michele!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, Michele. Yes, winter is here in our lovely state. I still hope that we will get a few nice days before the really "tough stuff" sets in.

    Congratulations to you on your excellent weight loss/health journey. What an amazing job you are doing. It really helps to have a great life partner. I have one too, and I am very grateful for the years we have had together, and hope for many more. It is truly a blessing. Have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to have you back!
    You are in such a great place mentally and physically in your journey. I love following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl! You're so inspirational :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michele is back, and i am happy! Good to see you back in the states friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back to North America Michele! Glad you had a great trip. I LOVE this post, and hope you have a GREAT Thanksgiving week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that you had a wonderful time in Spain. This is a great post and you inspire me so much. So, what indoor exercise are you considering? Still plugging away at my exercise bike, but I'm considering trying to take a Zumba class. Any interest?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your journey sounds a lot like mine. Slow and steady, but hopefully sustainable. Keep it up.

    You'd laugh - we had two inches today in Seattle and MASS CHAOS on the evening commute. My normally 25 minute ride lasted 3 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are back - and thanks for the pics and sharing!
    And the Life Partner thing?
    *sigh*
    Sometimes I think "The Blogs" are my best friends.
    I guess that's ok!
    I'm at least in good company with people who are like-minded
    and caring!!

    ReplyDelete