Thursday, October 7, 2010

Surviving Eating at a Conference!

I know now that I am going to be successful on my journey to better health. Here is why I am so confident: over the last couple of days the institution where I work hosted the annual the Nobel Conference. As I wrote earlier, this Conference’s theme was “Making Food Good.” As part of the committee, I hosted one of the speakers (Marion Nestle!) along with a few students (you will hear more about this in a later post), which required me to eat the meals prepared by the conference banquet staff. I did not know how the meals were prepared or how many calories was really part of the food composition. So, what to do? The old Michele, the one that did not take care of herself, would have just shrugged her shoulders and dug in and basically eaten everything that was put in front of her. But, not the new, Michele.

Here is what I did: I practiced moderation and did as much planning for food and meals as I could. I found out early that my speaker was not a breakfast eater. Fabulous! This meant that I could eat at home before heading to work and eat what I know I should be eating to continue my healthy journey. When the plates of food were put in front of me for lunch and dinner, I ate what I knew I could (like fresh fruit on Tuesday in a salad), took the cheese, lettuce and tomato out of the croissant and left the croissant (on Wednesday), ate the green salads, and then ate sparingly of the main courses. It was obvious to me that the main courses were either sautéed in oils or heavy in other fats and calories (like steak smothered in a mushroom gravy). Each day I brought along a small bag with grapes to eat when I felt hungry.

DESSERTS: In addition each meal featured a fantastic dessert!! Our college is quite well known for their dessert delicacies and this conference meals was no exception. Here is what I did: at lunch on the first day, I took my napkin and covered the scrumptious looking piece of raspberry filled cake and choice to eat NONE; at dinner that same day I enjoyed a few bites of chocolate torte (Yum!); at lunch the next day, I also enjoyed a few bites of carrot cake (my FAV!) and finally at the last dinner, had two bites of cheesecake (Yes, also YUM!). Those few bites of dessert were just plenty for me. I never felt deprived, not did I feel tempted to eat more. I honestly was NOT interested. I enjoyed every bite of what I ate, and that was good enough for me. Once again, the event, hosting my speaker, was the event, and not the food.

So, that is why I KNOW that I will be successful on this journey. I have begun to build a new history of eating well and healthy across life events with planning and moderation! Yes!!!

TTFN! Michele

PS: Keep Dr. Fit in your thoughts today-she is having her surgery.

12 comments:

  1. I'd love to hear Marion Nestle speak you luck duck. This is a huge NSV and I know hou will be successful too, Michelle. You came, you saw, you conquered.

    Love the napkin trick. It works well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an amazing job with the willpower thing. You SHOULD feel great about it all! Vee at http://veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good, you're doing all the right things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey my hat goes off to you if I had one. You did great...

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG - you rocked those desserts!! I hope I can remember your strength and moderation and follow your example the next time temptation crosses my path. (It may be this weekend, actually.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for You!!! You did a fantastic job and can savor that victory a lot longer than any of those sugar desserts would have stayed with you. You're my hero(ine).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Michelle! You're so sweet.I agree, 2 bites of cheesecake is plenty. Way to conquer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job! You are a true inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Job and thanks for the advice. I will indeed start packing that cooler. We're doing this!! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all your comments. I would like you to know that I was incredibly impressed by her work at the conference. You can watch the video archive. I would highly recommend it, not just because I was there, but because it is so informative about what to eat (she nails this in the beginning) but even more importantly what policy are behind some of the foods and the confusion around food by the general public because of marketing. She was excellent. I had many conversations with her. I will blog about these ext week. She is my superhero! Michele

    Here is the video link:
    http://gustavus.edu/events/nobelconference/2010/archive.php

    ReplyDelete