Friday, October 29, 2010

Back from fall break and Hot 100 challenge


Happy Friday to all of you!
My hubby and I are back from a wonderful fall break to California! We were able to meet up with my brother and his family and also with our son and his fiancé (who came to Yosemite with us). Rest and recreation were the order for each day. I do not know about you, but, because so much of my work is computer or web based, a break for me needs to include tech free time (not counting my iPhone!). The pictures I posted on my fall break post and those above are of Yosemite Valley. I am originally from California; so going to Yosemite is like going home to me. I did not live near there (home is actually southern California), but over the years that we lived in California, we spent a lot of family time hiking and camping in Yosemite and the other beautiful parks near by: Sequoia and Kings Canyon.

I don’t know if any of you watch Oprah. I rarely catch her show but today turned it on and guess what? Oprah and Gail had taken a “camping trip” through Yosemite Valley in well Oprah style. The best part was watching the film of the exact roads and trails that we had been on only one day ago. It is one of the most beautiful places in the world. If you have not been, I hope you make it a point in your life to go. I will post more about our hiking and pictures next week.

I completed my fourth week of the Hot 100 Challenge!
Here is my update:

Hot 100 Challenges

1.Lose an additional 12 pounds by December 24, 2010. This is doable because there are 12 weeks until Christmas Eve and I lose about 1.3 pounds per week
(I weighed in last week before our trip (19 pounds off still,
so I will not weigh in again for a couple of weeks. )

2.Keep up my biking (at least 45 miles a week) AND include more walking
(4 times a week at least 2 miles at a time) outdoors until the weather forces me inside.
(I did not make it in biking this week. I logged only 8 miles which was today.
I did however hike over 15 miles this week (!!) which is an amazing accomplishment for me.
Besides being out of shape for a number of years, I broke my leg
a couple of years ago. It has taken me a long while (well, two years) to feel
that I CAN hike like I want to and I did!

So, the 15 miles is for me a great milestone).

3.Take care of myself each day by eating less, moving more,
and eating plenty of fruits and veggies.
(Yes, I can truthfully say I did really well, even while on fall break. We stayed at the
Wawona Hotel in Yosemite and had the hiker's package which included breakfast
and a box lunch everyday. Breakfast was buffet style. Each day, I walked right by
all the sweet rolls and coffee cakes, pancakes, waffles and other high caloric
foods and headed straight for oatmeal and fresh fruits.
This was a FIRST for me to pass up all the sweets (even the mini-muffins!).

4.Have more 1200 days in a week than 1500-calorie days.
(Okay, I admit, the entire week consisted of 1500 days-not one single 1200 day.
But, what I am proud of is the fact that I budgeted my
In and Out Burger (390 calories) and a few pints of tasty beer into my
1500 calories per day. I even had one of my favorite buttermilk
donuts (only in California do they make the kind that I LOVE!)
and stayed within the 1500 calories. So, although I did not meet
this goal of more 1200 calories days than 1500, I continued
to build my new eating history by eating reasonably,
enjoying a few treats that I like and staying within my range of calories).

5.Drink more water. At least two liters per day.
(Yes, every day. Almost is a habit, but not quite).

Now I look forward to catching up with all of you, my blog readers and followers! Have a great weekend everyone! Stay strong in your journey to better health! Michele

13 comments:

  1. Brava!!! You did great. I'm grabbing on to your coattails.
    I LOVE Yosemite. DH & I went to Stanford and got there often during that time. DH was later stationed in San Francisco when our kids were in elementary school so we had three more years of Yosemite. I also love Muir Woods. I read that Oprah had NEVER before been to a National Park before her Yosemite visit. Incredible. I LOVE the NPs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are doing so well! And on vacation no less:) I record Oprah so will now think of you when I watch that episode. Welcome back:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back Michele!! Wow...Yosemite looks like an amazing place! Hope you had a FANTASTIC time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Good job on those goals!!! I haven't been to Yosemite, but its one of those places I'd like to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm havin' the wanderlust big time! Your pictures are beautiful and I want to run away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back, Michele. I hope you missed out on all of the terribly windy weather we had here in Minnesota this week. It went from beautiful and warm to cold and windy overnight. I also love visiting California. It sounds like you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a great time. I need to take my family there sometime. We went to Yellowstone and Grand Teton this summer and it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eating 1500 calories while on vacation is VERY good! Seriously, keep it up! Glad you had a nice vacation! Welcome back to the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michele, You did amazing! 1500 on vacation is incredible. You are living the life, mama! Great job on the 15 miles. You are doing so well. I'm inspired. I had kinda a rough week. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michele,

    Glad you had a nice vacation! I am letting a few people know that I won't be blogging anymore. I'm not off the wagon or anything like that. I wrote an explanation on my blog.

    Thank-you for all of the support. I will carry that with me. I really enjoyed reading you blog.

    Take care,

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had a good time. Any time we are out of our routine it is hard. Have a great week!

    ~South Beach Steve

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back, Michele. I missed you, and glad you had a great trip. Great job on keeping it at 1500 while on a trip! That is what we are learning - eat like a normal person, no matter what or where the situation. I would say that is a huge NSV!

    ReplyDelete