Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Summer Fruits and Farmer’s Markets

In Minnesota we are experiencing our first cool down into fall. Temperatures over the last couple of days were in the 60’s with nightly lows reaching down to the low 50’s and our first high forties. Falling temperatures for me mean that soon the freshest summer produce at farmer’s markets and supermarkets will diminish. This year I frequented local farmer’s markets more than I ever did. Lately I have enjoyed fresh, juicy and delectable peaches.Wanna a bite?

I cannot get enough of their delicious and full-bodied flavor. Why eat sweets when there are fresh peaches, nectarines, blue berries and other peak season fruits available? I always have enjoyed fruit, but this summer and because of my journey to better health, I enjoyed the seasonal fruits of summer more. What about you? What are the seasonal fruits that you enjoyed this summer? Did you also find yourself frequenting farmer’s markets more than in the past?

9 comments:

  1. I love peaches, bits of sunshine in velvet wrappers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watermelon, plums, peaches, you name it, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. Nectarines and cherries probably top my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the word "fresh." I also love the word "delicious." Aren't they wonderful words to say out loud?? I got a case of peaches from Michigan a couple weeks ago and canned them all up. They will be wonderful eating come winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Michele,

    Guess what? I've nominated you for a blog award. See details on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peaches and tomatoes. Oh, and corn on the cob. My three "staples" from the farmer's market. Yesterday was FM day and I bought 14 peaches. Tonight, I sacrificed two to make grilled peaches. YUM. Cut in half, grilled for a couple of minutes to get nice caramelization grill mars, fill center with 1/2 tsp brown sugar and a generous sprinkle of cinnamon. Broil under broiler for 2 or 3 minutes until the sugar caramelizes. YUM I love peaches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watermelons and Nectarines and Cantaloupes, oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at the size of that peach! It's bigger than your whole body - pictured to the left of it. Somebody should write a book about it, and a boy named James. And his crazy mean aunties . . .and some insects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've always loved and frequented farmer's markets. When we travel, I always check out the local markets. Great way to really experience the local flavor. I'd have a hard time picking a favorite fruit!! I like them all!

    ReplyDelete