Thursday, September 16, 2010

Slaying dragons!

Today was one of those mornings, cool, gray and dark. Our low in Minneapolis was 48 degrees. Dampness and puddles everywhere from the overnight showers. The kind of morning where that dragon voice starts protesting in my head: stay in bed; too cold; you can do it later or why don't you skip today. Well, I ignored those voices and hopped on my bike anyway. It took me a while to get into it. I was just as sluggish as the weather and barely awake. But, I made myself hop on that bike and am I glad I did. I rode another 8 miles in under 50 minutes. Not a record, but still good for me. Guess what? By the time I finished I was as energized as that little energizer bunny. You know that feeling after you exercise. Re-charged that’s what I was. Recharged.

I bet many of you saw that summer movie called: How to Train Your Dragon. If you haven’t it is a good one: spirited and poignant. Well, as I left home, ready for my day, I realized that I did not slay the dragon that tried to take my will away today, rather, I trained it. Trained it by showing it that regardless of what it says, I am going to go with the training plan: get outside, hop on the bike and move more. Period. Dragons beware!

Have a great weekend everybody and stay strong in your healthy choices! Michele

14 comments:

  1. Love that! Train the Dragon. And it was a good movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never thought of it that way Michele. There are many days that I don't want to do my weight training first thing in the morning. I do it though. And there are some Sundays I don't feel like dragging my butt out to get the second 5k, but I do it. I had just kinda chalked it up to I am a habit person, but you know, that analogy works even better for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore that movie, AND I love your analogy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I was sitting here waiting for it to warm up to take my ride! Good for you Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you Michele! I struggled with motivation yesterday thanks to the crappy weather. 8 miles is quite a ride. Keep on truckin woman ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good post and a good lesson to all of us with our dragons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes we just have to stand up to our dragons face to face!! Good for you on getting out even in the dreary weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job getting out there in bad weather. As you may know, I live in Seattle. So far, I'm a fair weather biker. I may have to change that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. New to your blog. I am totally in agreement with the "keep moving". It really makes me feel better. Good luck. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love your analogy and your motivation! I need a nudge, so I'm going to keep this in mind to help me get going again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you. Funny how two weeks ago I was complaining about hot and muggy and now I'm thinking that it's a bit chilly to go out. My favorite book is Penman's Here Be Dragons and, I've gotta tell you it's an apt description of my life right now. Here be Dragons. Lots of them. I've got to learn How to Train your[my] Dragon[s[. Have a good rest of the week end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your motivation is so contagious! I was one of those who complained about the muggy hot weather and refused to go to the track all summer. Now, I'm paying for it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was just the blog I needed to read as I start my new walking regimen in the rainy Washington weather!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is awesome! As it gets colder and colder and darker and darker here in Calgary, I will need to find ways to train my own dragon. In fact, I have already skipped a number of walks in the past week because 1) it's been pissing down rain non-stop and 2) I've had a cold.
    I've been toying with the idea of getting "no excuses" tattooed inside my wrist so I will know that at least once, I was committed! Good on ya, Michele!
    K

    ReplyDelete