Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Revisiting fantasy and reality

I posted awhile back on moving forward from fantasy to realism. Today on my bike, I had another “aha” moment that allowed me to see that I am uncovering the new me as a reality vs a fantasy. I do a lot of ruminating on my bike (I bet you do to!). Today I was thinking about how many weeks until Thanksgiving (about 10) and Christmas (about 14). As I continue on this journey I have come to realize that I will lose about a pound a week. So, in 10 weeks, I will be 10 pounds less and in 14 about 14 pounds less. This would mean that by Christmas, I should be 30 pounds lighter, not taking into account any plateau I might go through-just the plan math of one pound off a week.

Okay, Michele, that's great, but where is the “aha” you ask? Well, here it is: what I realized while I was doing this little bit of math in my head is that I am moving farther and father away from a fantasy notion of how much lighter I might be in so many weeks (like 10 pounds in two weeks!) to what I know (the realism part) I will be able to do. This was a powerful “aha” moment to me. I realized that I was no longer fantasizing about how much weight I might lose, but was realistically setting up some targets. To me being 30 pounds less at Christmas is a fabulous target. And realistic. Don't you think??

8 comments:

  1. Holy crap, you and I must be telepathically linked, I was thinking about my long term this morning too. I was thinking about 6 months from now when it is turning spring and how I will hopefully be around 50 pounds lighter than today and when I start getting out, how much easier my hikes will be, how much better I will fit in amusement park rides, and hey, I may even be jogging in some competitive 5k's!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Michele, I think this is a fabulous target and quite realistic. Don't you just love the "aha" moments. Sometimes they feel like a "loss" all their own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful paradigm shift! I think we have all been there - expecting to lose fast and then we get discouraged when we don't. But studies show time and time again that a slow gradual loss is more likely to result in a permanent loss. And, you are so right, I do a lot of thinking on my bike, lots about my blog actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes and believable, too. Like-mindedness walk this path together. Wow! You go buddy! And me and you have the same vision: a 5K! Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so amazing when you feel that mind shift happening! I think your goal sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your goal sounds realistic Michele. We really do have to lose weight slowly...allowing that occasionally we won't get the results we want. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason with weight loss :) You are doing all the right things. My goals ought to be tighter. I'll have to devise some. All I know is - I shan't weigh any more than I do now at Christmas time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so very true. Those pounds add up in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ten weeks until Thanksgiving?!!! 14 until Christmas?!!? WHAT?!!! OH, NO!! NOT YET!

    (not.ready.for.THAT.kind.of.reality)

    Okay, this is not about me freaking out about how fast this year is flying, this is about you and your wonderful goals and strength and endurance.

    You go, girl! (And please share how to stay motivated through Halloween candy, pumpkin pie and falalalala -- so hard for me).

    ReplyDelete