Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Grandbabies, SV and NSV

Hello Bloggers!!
Grandbabies: Hubby and try to help our adult children out a couple of times a month with day care. Today is one of those days: Oma and Opa day care day. Except that I, Oma, am the one doing day care. Now that three are in school (2 in Kindergarten and one in second grade, in case you want to know more…!) I have one of the three year olds, Hann or Hannie, and one-year-old Noah, so day care is a delight! We have already been on the bike (with Burley attached) to my favorite grocery to pick up a few things, including some baby food (seems like the parentals forgot something to feed the little boy!). So, with babies in tow, exercise is partially completed for today. I will hop on again later when they are gone.

Here is what I really want to tell you, my blogger friends. When I first started on this regaining my health journey, I blogged about how I am someone who likes to have real life contexts of things that are nebulous. I have a great deal of weight to lose to be healthy. True statement. But what does this look like? Some folks think about dog food or other tangible objects, like flour or potatoes. My tangible reference point will be my grandbabies. Well here is baby, Noah:

When I took that picture Noah weighed in at 20.4 pounds. I have lost almost 19 (!!!) pounds. I am zeroing in on losing the amount of weight that a small human being, boy Noah, weighs. That to me is astounding! A real life tangible context of how much mass my weight loss really is. I thought about this today as I walked up the stairs to put Noah down for his nappie. “Wow, this is one heavy kid,” I thought as I went up the stairs. But, instantly I knew that this was almost the exact amount of weight that I had been lugging around for about two years. Just as I was grateful to put that sweet (but heavy) little boy in his crib, I thought about how happy my own body must be (if it could talk) that I am almost 19 pounds less.

Stay strong and have a great day on your getting healthier journey!

13 comments:

  1. OMG how cute is he! Great picture Oma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, and a great analogy, and so cute...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great comparison, not to mention a cute little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww he is absolutely adorable! Yes!! You have lost a lot of weight. You are doing so well. Your body is thankful and I'm sure you have more energy to play with the babies now! Enjoy your day Oma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a similar moment several months ago when our pastor used kettle bells in his children's sermon. Three children could not pick up the kettle bell and when he told its weight, it was exactly the amount I had to lose. I nearly lost it sitting up there in the choir loft!! I realize you are looking at it positively and my moment was negative, but I totally agree that the visuals make a huge impression either way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! This just made me realize I've lost as much as my 4 year old weighs! THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the CUTEST 20 lbs I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww!! What a sweet face! How adorable. Picking him up is going to give you some tone arms :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What chewable little cheeks!!! ;-)

    I think if we all carried around what we lose every month in dumbells, it might make us appreciate our weight loss more. And by 'us' I mean 'me'. ;-)

    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. He's a dolly! It's funny, because as I was carrying my little J downstairs yesterday after his nap, I was thinking about how much easier it is to run up and down the stairs these days without all that extra weight. I used to have to carry one or both of them PLUS my extra avoir du poids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, Michele, that is a wild realization and so neat to hear!!! Keep on chugging along!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great way to realize how far you've already come!!
    He is a handsome little guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute kid!

    From your comments on my blog...we love Dodgers Stadium!!! My wife's dad grew up in Idaho as a Dodgers fan, probably in the 50s and 60s and Shannon picked that up from him. So it was great when we went. What I LOVE about it is that you go to glitzy, glam, sometimes phony L.A., and all the sudden you're in this throwback place with (then, at least) the organ music, and you know Vin Scully is nearby. Just super cool.

    Also LOVE Yo-Yo Ma. He's great. Great guy, too. My wife plays with the Seattle Symphony and last year (I think) he played a concerto on the first half of the concert, and then went and played in the back of the cello section for whatever symphony was on the program in the second half. This was unprecedented, and although it probably scared the bejeezes out of the the poor guy or gal sitting next to him, everybody else thought it was an amazingly down to earth gesture.

    ReplyDelete