Thursday, September 23, 2010

Cold weather wear, another NSV! and Marion

Yesterday was a cool morning, but I got out and on my bike. Our days are numbered here in Minnesota (meaning winter is coming!!) to enjoy exercising in the outdoors. I road the 6-7 miles to Minnehaha Falls and back again in just a little over an hour. For the first time I had to put on my “under-roos, ” the name I call long underwear. At 41 degrees you need something so your big butt (or little butt) doesn’t freeze. I wore a fleece vest and a fleece jacket and was toasty warm. Enjoy one more picture of the Falls!
NSV: I have downsized!!! I ordered some new cold weather wear from my favorite outdoor store (LL Bean). Mind you my clothes have been getting looser, so I decided to go for Large (L) vs. Extra Large (XL) for my new vests and a new corduroy shirt. Guess what??? They fit perfectly!! This is the first time in over two years that I have worn something that was not an XL! Wahoo-another NSV!!
Marion Nestle: If you link to my labels in the side bar you will notice that Marion Nestle's name comes up often in my posts. There’s a reason for that. If you are new to my blog (and thank-you for stopping by!!) you may not know that I am following Nestle’s little adage by eating less (1200-1500 calories a day), moving more (at least 30 minutes per day of vigorous exercise), going easy on junk foods (budgeting them in) and eating lots of fruits and veggies. I am also borrowing from other weight loss gurus like Geneen Roth and Jon Kabat-Zin (Mindful Eating). That is it.

Well today, I was browsing Marion’s blog and found a label for “eating less." In the first post under eating less she discusses "the basic principles of healthful diets: variety in food intake, moderation in calories, largely plant-based (although not necessarily exclusively), and minimally processed. Eat according to those principles and you do not have to worry about nutritional details. All of that boils down to the advice I propose in What to Eat: eat less, move more, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, and don’t eat too much junk food." In the second post she discusses "The Surgeon General’s Vision for a Healthy and Fit Nation", an excellent overview and in my book a must read for anyone who is interested in health and fitness. You will hear much more about my interest in Marion's work in a coming post.

Stay strong on your healthy journey! Michele

15 comments:

  1. That is awesome Michele!!! I recently have worn a rash of 2x shirts and I get that downsizing rush just like you! We are really doing this friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good news on the smaller cold weather wear Michele! :) I am not into smaller sizes yet but all I have seems much looser on me. (Has to be good. I used to feel like a trussed-up turkey in some clothes!)

    I shall have to check out where my nearest waterfall is. I suspect it's in another country :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great. As for the weather, I'm happy it's getting cooler as I find it easier to walk or bike in the cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great NSV! We have longer to bike here and that is good because I am a wimp and won't go if it is too cold. My biggest problem are that my feet go numb and feel like cold rocks in my shoes. Yesterday my ride got rained out after 3 miles, which meant 3 miles back in the rain. Today I hope to get a whole ride in:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! That is amazing! I am so proud of you! I can not wait until I have to buy smaller sizes. That day can not come fast enough. Thanks for the comments you left! Oh and by the way... I accidently had some pineapple the other day and now I have a frankenstein face.. Yuck! My sister is allergic to mango and has the same reaction. Crazy huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, I love L.L. Bean. My 91 year old father shops exclusively from L.L.Bean catalogs and everyone's gifts are from Bean, too.

    Moving down a size....how fabulous! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great NSV, Michele!

    That is pretty much my way of eating. It agrees with my digestive system better than others I have tried.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Post! Congrats on the smaller size. That's awesome. You are such an encouraging person. Thank you for all of your comments. They really help me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! Glad to hear you're NSV! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your NSV--I love normal sizes. And I took a peek at your photo tab too--you're rocking it! Weigh to go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love NSV, Michele. Thanks for sharing. Marion Nestle is great, isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome on the lg's --
    Out with the old!
    Onward and downward!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for you on the XL! That opens the door for so many nice clothing options. I can't agree with you more on the vegetable front. I eat nearly two lbs. of veggies each day. I haven't felt this healthy in ages, my skin is glowing, and it volumizes my meals quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to say i agree with your thoughts on food intake :) You probably already knew that anyway!
    I'm so very happy to be able to follow your journey. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our days are numbered here in Minnesota, but I love the fall. We just left Washington DC, and the temps last week broke records for heat. It is gorgeous here, and the colors are starting to emerge. You are doing a great job and are such an inspiration. Keep of the good work. I know I can too--yeah--sure...

    ReplyDelete