Monday, August 23, 2010

Going the distance with exercise

This is more than you need to know, but this week end we went to our family’s hobby farm about 80 miles south of Minneapolis for some much needed rest and respite after an intense week. I took my bike, but because I did not have the bike rack, I took off the front wheel and put it and the rest of my bike in the back of my car. When we got to the farm, I took the wheel and the bike out. No problem here. But, attached to the axle of the wheel was a small spring-which promptly sprang into the grass and was lost. Without that little spring it would not be safe to re-attach the wheel. Bummer because it was 7pm on Saturday night; little chance to replace that little spring at that time. Biking is my exercise of choice as you all know. After 3 days without any exercise, I was EAGER to get back on it. What to do for exercise? Well, my hubby suggested going for a walk with our dog instead. Here is our cute boy:
I have honestly been a little reluctant to push my exercise to include walking because I am leery of all the weight on my knees. Plus, I am about the slowest walker this side of the Mississippi. Well, I thought about Paula springing up those stadium steps in one of her last posts and decided I would give walking a try. Guess what??? I walked up and down the little hills by our farm just fine with Giovanni sniffing every blade of grass. I logged about 30 minutes of good walking and it felt great! On Sunday, I did another walk and again, felt great! So I have decided that I will try to up my exercise to a half hour of walking in the morning and a 30-40 minute bike ride in the afternoon. This has been one of my summer goals: fit in twice daily exercise. As an optimist, this was my way of taking lemons and making lemonade, with a little prodding, of course!

Speaking of bike riding: I logged another 14 miles on my bike today. The trails near our place in Mankato are fabulous. I went "off trail" for several miles once I was out in the countryside and rode an additional several miles on some gravel roads. I cannot tell you how great it felt to be back in the saddle today!! Enjoy a couple of pictures taken along the trail ride...


8 comments:

  1. That is great Michele! I like walking because it affords me an opportunity to either take time for introspection, or I can jam out and get the endorphins up! I have come to find that I cannot go any speed but fast until I wear my legs out when I set out to walk. I also feel powerful when I feel my muscled getting tired, I suppose just because I can feel those muscles and know they actually exist!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a "biker" too:) I hate gravel though! I keep telling myself that a second workout would be good for me. Just a little walk in the afternoon or a short time on the elliptical. But so far I haven't done it. Maybe you can inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michele - I love your eulogy. Heartfelt and poetic. Also resonated with me in terms of my own father. I am now back from the BWCAW and will have some portaging stories to share with you when we get together. Also, Jim bought me a new bike helmet for my b'day so I'll be riding again starting tomorrow. I continue to find your blog inspiring (and also just plain good reading!). Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on meeting the exercise goal! Walking is always the one exercise that is stressed to me. It's free and can be done almost anywhere! I'll be thrilled when I get to the point where I can be on a bike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you are near Mankato. I remember when I would ride along in the wagon with Pa to go visit the blind school there. Oh wait, that wasn't me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go on the walking. It always feels good to accomplish something you thought you couldn't. I'm really impressed with your bike riding. I haven't been on a bike in about 10 years. You make it sound fun! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is the name of the trail? We have a goal of riding a rail-trail in every state. I know there are lots of great ones in Minnesota.

    Don't you love bike riding? We THINK it might finally be cool enough to ride this coming Saturday and oh, how we need that outlet right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! :-)

    What a beautiful [lace you have to ride.

    ReplyDelete