Thursday, July 1, 2010

July!!

A new month. The lovely month of summer July.

Today I decided that one of my goals this month will be to eat more veggies. I do okay with fruits-but veggies, not so much. Today I will also face another temptation: family BBQ out at the lake. What to do? Plan. Planning is the ammunition I will use to allow me to enjoy foods at the BBQ, too. First I made potato salad. This will be the first recipe that I share with my readers. I am an “eye baller” when it comes to cooking, so if you try this recipe, adjust according to your eye and what you find appealing. Second, I am "saving" my calories by trying to stay below 750 calories for breakfast and lunch. My target daily caloric intake is between 1350-1550 per day. If I make it, I can splurge on 600 calories for dinner (BBQ!!!) with a little left over for evening snack! Preparation and planning. Preparation and planning.

The taste of food is important to me. Dill is one of my favorite herbs; I adore the taste of dill. I also LOVE food that CRUNCHES!!! Today for a snack, I used some of the celery stalks (crunch) (2) left from the potato salad, whipped up a small dippy sauce with Trader Joes spicy brown mustard and then sprinkled this with a little dill. At 5 calories per serving this was a yum dip. Try it. You’ll like it.

What I am eating today:


Breakfast:
1 cup serving of TJ (Trader Joes) Raisin Bran with .5-cup milk: 190 + 60
.5-cup strawberries: 26

Snack
Celery stalks with mustard sauce dippy: 15

Lunch
PB on WW: 100 + 23
1 cup of grapes with 1 cup of strawberries: 100 + 45

Snack:
1 cup of grapes with 1 cup of strawberries: 100 + 45

Dinner:
Grilled chicken: approx 140
Potato salad
Several licks of DQ: 65
Fresh veggies with humus: 75

Total so far:
1278

Exercise: I road twice around Lake Harriett-another 7 or so miles on the bike today!


Michele’s Potato Salad


Just a note about this photo: I like to eat from these small Pyrex style bowls (5 ounces). Small bowls help me to manage smaller servings. This is also a small Dutch coffee-stirring spoon.

10-12 small Yukon gold potatoes
½ cup of a vinaigrette salad dressing (today I used Kraft Greek vinaigrette)
¼ cup (or there about) of sliced olives
1 small onion, diced (I like the sweet onions in this salad)
6 stalks of celery, diced with the leafy tops on
Dill, probably 1 tablespoon
3 barely hard-boiled eggs

Wash and then boil potatoes whole with skins. Turn heat down to simmer. Set your kitchen timer for about 15 minutes. Fifteen minutes is plenty of time for the potatoes to be barely done. Let the potatoes cool down (about 1-2 hours) so you can handle them. Skin potatoes and dice in chunks that appeal to you in a bowl. Add in vinaigrette and mix. Toss in celery, onions and olives. Mix well. Next mix in dill to your taste. Finally, cut up eggs. Refrigerate and enjoy. Calories per serving (per cup) (Michele’s best estimate): 104 for potatoes, 1 tablespoon vinaigrette, 45; token olives, celery and onions: 10; Total per serving: 159. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Yum yum yum, the pic looks delicious (and I'm NOT a big fan of dill or of cooking!). I love the way you are trying to make sure you have snacks, so that you are reading a few smaller meals throughout the day. Everything I've heard says that's the way to go. You are helping me think about my own food issues - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a good cyber friend-even if it looks like, for now, you are my only reader. Thanks for your comments and support-I appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete